SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put $500 down for the dealer to hold this gorgeous 2007 Aero Sedan 6 speed manual, silver with powder coated wheels. However its across the country for me. Im in Arizona the car is in Pennsylvania which is 2300 miles.

Im aware parts can be hard to come by. Im aware of the costs. I sold my 3 precious vehicles I never thought Id be rid of so that I could buy this car. The goal is to get something nice and quick and fun but something I wont really modify.

Short and simple, I need opinions and recommendations. What am I getting myself into? Should I pull out while I can? Is the 2.8 generally a good motor? Is there something I should look out for? Anything I might need to know before I sign for this car. As of right now Ill be on the plane to get it in 30 hours. So fellas, please share whatever is on your mind with me. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Welcome!

I have the 4 banger but I know the v6 is a very sturdy motor, you dont hear very many reliability issues at all. Saabs are extremely fun to drive and super comfortable with huge trunk space, so you made a good choice and even better one at that by getting the 6 speed.

PUT SOME PICS UP WHEN YOU BRING IT BACK TO HOME BASE!! ;ol;

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not to self promote, but you should have bought mine!
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3109315738.html

They are great cars. I'm very reluctant to sell mine, but I just need/want something bigger. I just met another Saab owner randomly yesterday (selling a bicycle on craigslist). He said his has 140,000 miles on it and has been trouble free.

Traveling that far is quite the gamble. I hope you like it!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I see you enjoy what Saab has to offer. Im sure I will too. However Im more interested in what reality will have to offer with this car.

My other 2 options in the same price range are 2005-2006 Pontiac GTO. However, I would surely modify that car. No doubt about it. So I ruled that out. My other option was 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP. Its stylish, quick, just pure awesome. And they still have available parts and a great market for upgrades IF I wanted but the most Id do is wheels and a tune. But I say no to it because twice now Ive driven the Solstice and I just dont care for it. There is no excitement in that cockpit. Like there is no chemistry between us.

But I happen to have found a 07 Aero 6 speed 96 miles from me. It was a turd, high miles, paint fading, etc. But I enjoyed the power, the space, it was very nice. Im not trying to figure out if I made the right choice. Just if Im making a bad one...

Lexington, that is nice and exactly what Im looking for. But I like the silverisher one Im looking at lol. Plus Im financing cuz I only got $9000ish. Why is that drive a gamble? Its not non stop. Ill have 3 days to do this...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I see you enjoy what Saab has to offer. Im sure I will too. However Im more interested in what reality will have to offer with this car.

My other 2 options in the same price range are 2005-2006 Pontiac GTO. However, I would surely modify that car. No doubt about it. So I ruled that out. My other option was 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP. Its stylish, quick, just pure awesome. And they still have available parts and a great market for upgrades IF I wanted but the most Id do is wheels and a tune. But I say no to it because twice now Ive driven the Solstice and I just dont care for it. There is no excitement in that cockpit. Like there is no chemistry between us.

But I happen to have found a 07 Aero 6 speed 96 miles from me. It was a turd, high miles, paint fading, etc. But I enjoyed the power, the space, it was very nice. Im not trying to figure out if I made the right choice. Just if Im making a bad one...
What was the price for the Saab youre going after? And if you were going to mod a GTO, then you should go for a Vtuner ECU remap, it works wonders on a v6, a guy in columbus has one on craigslist and he claims his with Vtuner stage 3 has 360bhp...plus its an auto lol but theres some potential there if you were ever interested in giving it a little boost!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Not to self promote, but you should have bought mine!
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3109315738.html

They are great cars. I'm very reluctant to sell mine, but I just need/want something bigger. I just met another Saab owner randomly yesterday (selling a bicycle on craigslist). He said his has 140,000 miles on it and has been trouble free.

Traveling that far is quite the gamble. I hope you like it!
That thing is sexy. If i hadn't bought my 04 and had a few k more i would have made a road trip ;ol; And 40k?? Did you garage it or what? Thats awesome

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$16k for the one Im looking at with 48k miles from the dealer. The financing is awesome. In the end I would only have paid $2k in interest IF I pay the minimum every time. But again guys Im looking for opinions on my choice here. Like do any of you regret your Saab? If you could do it over what would it be? Should I reconsider since parts are hard to come by? Thats my biggest concern. Not finding parts for the car...

·
Registered
292 Posts
MO to AZ

I'm also in Arizona and just sold my beloved SUV to get an 08' 9-3 Aero: LOOK HERE.

Man I have NO regrets... EVERY time I drive this car I have a BIG smile on my face, it doesn't matter the traffic or road conditions...

This thing can PULL is just ridiculous you can cruise at 80Mph and overtake a truck so fast when you look down your at110-115 instantly... Very dangerous for speeding tickets.

Do it!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
$16k for the one Im looking at with 48k miles from the dealer. The financing is awesome. In the end I would only have paid $2k in interest IF I pay the minimum every time. But again guys Im looking for opinions on my choice here. Like do any of you regret your Saab? If you could do it over what would it be? Should I reconsider since parts are hard to come by? Thats my biggest concern. Not finding parts for the car...
Actually Trolhatten is finally releasing backordered parts after a long delay, that being said it shouldnt be as hard. But for the ones that are backordered, like springs for example, there are good aftermarkets to replace them with. Sometimes even cheaper, OEM parts can be expensive sometimes...my springs were shot and for a few hundred more than stock ones, I got a full adjustable sport suspension.

Regret? Of course not. Personally I think 16k is pretty steep, figuring you can buy brand new ones for that and maybe a little less. I mean low miles yea, but you can buy a newer g35 or an evo 9 for that. I got my 04 5 speed for 3800 with literally almost nothing wrong with it, around 120k, and dont regret it one bit. My second Saab and I knew what I was getting into, but it was a steal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry zinfandel but the only model Im intersted in is a 07 aero sedan.

Tmarter, yeah $16k is a little steep but thats pretty much what it retails for. I checked. Kbb and carfax. And sure I could find cheaper. However, like I said I only want the 2007 Aero sedan. And the only 2 colors Ill take is the brighter blue or silver. And need the 6 speed manual. Its the only one I could find listed for sale with those meeting my requirements. Its $16130.00 out the door.

Its not so much the price guys, its the repairs. More than that its the ability to have it repaired if needed. You guys think this model would be okay as far as parts availability...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sorry zinfandel but the only model Im intersted in is a 07 aero sedan.

Tmarter, yeah $16k is a little steep but thats pretty much what it retails for. I checked. Kbb and carfax. And sure I could find cheaper. However, like I said I only want the 2007 Aero sedan. And the only 2 colors Ill take is the brighter blue or silver. And need the 6 speed manual. Its the only one I could find listed for sale with those meeting my requirements. Its $16130.00 out the door.

Its not so much the price guys, its the repairs. More than that its the ability to have it repaired if needed. You guys think this model would be okay as far as parts availability...
Most of the reliability of these cars is keeping up with the maintenance schedule and taking it in when it needs service (unless you DIY, but with 48k it isn't a bad idea) and do you have a Saab dealer in your area? With it being closer to the reliable end of the spectrum with the lesser amount of major maintenance, I'd consider the price just as much as the repairs. I mean if its your only realistic option of that car and you can afford it no problem then great, you seem to have it narrowed down to exactly what you want. But if you want details for the availability of the most common parts for that year and model, I'd hit up the Aero guys.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your reply has me a little confused on your opinion to purchase the car at that price with those miles at that distance... Im just going to go with you guys are saying "its not as bad as you think." Is that a fair assumption?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
You'll regret not shipping around when in a week you find one for much less. There's a guy a few blocks away selling an 06 Aero with less KM for $10,500 and we all know Canadian prices are much higher. I'm not trying to be rude and don't take this the wrong way but you mentioned that you dont have much to spend so it sounds like saving some money wouldn't hurt. Nice cars, good luck.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Indeed it's not as bad as you think....

All I'm trying to say is that its a good car, very reliable and parts shouldn't be that much of an issue, plus that minor issue will be getting better because they are now releasing backordered parts.

Now as far as the choice of the car, IM IN NO WAY DISCOURAGING YOU, it has very low miles, but IMO the price is blown up because you can find a brand new Saab for around 16k when the 07 is 5 years old. I drove 7 hours up and 7 back to pick mine up so i don't mind going out of the way for an awesome deal. I would say before you go across the country, try and look to find something closer that would be a better deal. I'd say good price is around 12k-13,500 TOPS. I bought my 04 in Coal Town, Penn so the value in that area shouldn't be far off from that at all.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys, I get it. Yes, there are potential deals out there. Now Im going to break this down and please try to see it from my side ok? Here we go.

I have searched, vigorously. Ive searched since the beginning of June. I spotted this particular car and put the deposit to hold it on June 5th. Im interested in the body style 03-07 only. Im interested in the 2.8 V6 only. Im interested in the 6 soeed manual only. And since the newer style interior started in 07, that makes me interested in the 07 only. And of course the Aero package only. And the sedan only. And the only color I can tell available that year that I like is silver.

So when you guys tell me a sweet/better deal on this 08 Aero, or 07 wagon, or 06 with 6 speed manual, well guess what... Im not interested. Im not one of those guys that will "settle" if its not exactly what I want simply because its a good deal.

And you guys are hitting me with other car deals by private sellers. Thats why they are cheaper. Im getting this one from a dealership. Generally dealerships cost more guys. You know that. And I have money. Im putting down $8600 dollars. If you are saying I dont have money to PAY IN FULL for a newer 9-3 well then yes I guess I dont. This is another reason Im going with a dealer, because it can be financed.

From June 5th to NOW, I have not came across another 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero sedan 2.8 with 6 speed manaul and silver that is available through a dealer so it can be financed. And as I said before Ive kbb and carfaxed this car and the retail price from a dealer is pretty much what Im paying. Im not getting a smoking deal but I know Im not getting ripped off.

Sooooo... If you guys know where I can find another one of those then Im open to consideration. But TILL THEN, Im more concerned about parts availability. If you guys think Ill be okay in that dept then Im sure Ill be happy.

Now, is there anything I should look for on this particular model? It eill be driven 2300 miles and Id like to know if there something I should thourouly examine before I sign and drive.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Ok guys, I get it. Yes, there are potential deals out there. Now Im going to break this down and please try to see it from my side ok? Here we go.

I have searched, vigorously. Ive searched since the beginning of June. I spotted this particular car and put the deposit to hold it on June 5th. Im interested in the body style 03-07 only. Im interested in the 2.8 V6 only. Im interested in the 6 soeed manual only. And since the newer style interior started in 07, that makes me interested in the 07 only. And of course the Aero package only. And the sedan only. And the only color I can tell available that year that I like is silver.

So when you guys tell me a sweet/better deal on this 08 Aero, or 07 wagon, or 06 with 6 speed manual, well guess what... Im not interested. Im not one of those guys that will "settle" if its not exactly what I want simply because its a good deal.

And you guys are hitting me with other car deals by private sellers. Thats why they are cheaper. Im getting this one from a dealership. Generally dealerships cost more guys. You know that. And I have money. Im putting down $8600 dollars. If you are saying I dont have money to PAY IN FULL for a newer 9-3 well then yes I guess I dont. This is another reason Im going with a dealer, because it can be financed.

From June 5th to NOW, I have not came across another 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero sedan 2.8 with 6 speed manaul and silver that is available through a dealer so it can be financed. And as I said before Ive kbb and carfaxed this car and the retail price from a dealer is pretty much what Im paying. Im not getting a smoking deal but I know Im not getting ripped off.

Sooooo... If you guys know where I can find another one of those then Im open to consideration. But TILL THEN, Im more concerned about parts availability. If you guys think Ill be okay in that dept then Im sure Ill be happy.

Now, is there anything I should look for on this particular model? It eill be driven 2300 miles and Id like to know if there something I should thourouly examine before I sign and drive.
I beg to differ. The dealership probably has about $9,000 into that car. Keep lookin;ol;

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I beg to differ. The dealership probably has about $9,000 into that car. Keep lookin;ol;
Its been over a month dude. How long am I suppose to keep looking? Especially now that I have no vehicles. Just because they got only $9000 into it doesnt mean I get it for $9000. This is how dealerships make their money. And it doesnt matter if they got it for $15000 or even $1000. The cars price is STILL at $16000 when buying from a dealer. Check online sources.

This is how the world goes round. Now if it states on kelly blue book AND carfax for this particular car with its vin number is worth $15599-$16599, and Im buying it for $16130 out the door, explain to me how Im getting ripped off.

My first impression here is not the best. You guys trying to convince me that paying the amount the car is worth is not a smart idea, when that originally was not why I started this thread...

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
You specifically asked if there was anything else left to know and we filled that void. I'm not trying to attack your plans or you personally, just trying to warn you that you're getting taken to the cleaners. Being informed by someone that you can find a better deal elsewhere and save a significant amount of money would for most people be a favor. If you want anointing that lack any critical content, spark up a conversation with the people at saabsunited. You seem like a enthusiast of sorts so as a fellow enthusiast l do care about your buying experience, I apologize for being honest and attempting to be helpful. I'll have to start telling people what they want to hear:roll:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Holy crap that is expensive. I just bought a 2010 Aero for $18,500 that had 33,000 miles. 3 years newer, less miles, and the new body style for only $2,500 more. You need to negotiate a lot more. What is the interest rate? Mine is 2.49% through a credit union.

I love my car and have zero regrets. I like the 2.0 more (2010-2011 Aeros) because of better gas mileage, and parts are much easier to come by.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts