SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bought a wide angle mirror from the UK for my NG900 years ago, around 2000, right after I bought the car, and loved it. I don't know why it took me so long to buy one for my 2000 9-5 wagon, but I just did, and it's wonderful. I found a NOS one in the UK, and snapped it on the other morning before my morning commute. It takes a little getting used to having cars appear slightly smaller at the edges, but there's essentially no blind spot now between the side and center mirrors. I highly recommend getting one, and I imagine that there should be a good-sized supply of used ones in the UK, since all of their cars should have had one of these on the passenger's side.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
My Saab 9-5s have only wide angle mirrors in both side.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a US thing. Our government doesn't allow wide-angle mirrors on the driver's side, or at least they didn't when these cars were being made. We did get them on the passenger's side on the 9-3 and 9-5, though.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
My Canadian convertible had those awful mirrors and passenger window had also french text and thus right mirror was non-usable.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
I have a MapTun sourced wide angle LH mirror. I wish it wasn't nearly as convex. It shrinks everything way more than it has to: the inside shows the car's windows, and the outside the edge of the mirror housing.

But, without it, the 9-5 wagons have a huge blind spot to the rear side, at least for me. Plain mirror doesn't work.

What I would like is a flat mirror with a convex outer edge. Such a thing does not appear to exist.

My Canadian convertible had those awful mirrors and passenger window had also french text and thus right mirror was non-usable.
Sorry, French text makes mirror unusable? (Hmm, it should be bilingual. Or maybe it was a Québec-market car?)

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Sorry, French text makes mirror unusable? (Hmm, it should be bilingual. Or maybe it was a Québec-market car?)
Yes, because text was in window and when I drive car, french text was above english text, so no clean sight.
Ontario car.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
Yes, because text was in window and when I drive car, french text was above english text, so no clean sight.
Ontario car.
Does that make it a safety failure?

I'm sure you'd be shocked at the kind of nonsense that is allowed with cars here. I'm shocked some almost all of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts