SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer is asking a whooping 11K for this car, in near mint.

5 speed, service records.

I am going to test drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't know what your cost of living is, but here in San Francisco, $11k for that spec car is a complete ripoff. I've seen 2004 Aeros with similar miles go for $9k and occasionally $8k here.

·
Registered
406 Posts
$11K is way too much for this car, even considering it's a low-mileage 5-speed Aero in mint condition. The KBB value is about $8500 for this car in excellent condition. Test drive it, and if you REALLY like it, offer him $8000, not more. If he's smart, he'll sell it at that price because no one will offer him more, and I'm certain he's still making a lot of profit on it.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Got my 03 for that much with 70K miles THREE YEARS AGO, loaded with vented seats and Xenons that you canlt even get in your year

·
Registered
668 Posts
Agree with the other...Price seems high but that is typical for dealers to start 3K over what they think its worth. Like others have said offer 7-8K and go from there.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I was curious on the sludge problem too...

I was going 8K no more, out the door even....

I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price...

Cost of Living, we are talking Michigan here, 15% unemployment....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
11k! wow. i bought my 00 Aero for 5300 8 months ago, it had only 85k miles.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but that is WAY TOO MUCH money for that car. Most other 01 Aeros are about half that price.
I recommend you do not buy this car. There is an 2004 Aero Wagon in Austin, TX for that much.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, I am thinking waay less to offer for this car, and only if I like it.

Any maintenance concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for the input, I am thinking waay less to offer for this car, and only if I like it.

Any maintenance concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks!
yes, specifically motor sludge issues because of a faulty PCV system. with such low miles and maintenance records, this isn't likely a problem for you. I'm guessing this was probably a weekend "Fun" car for someone, because most 03-04s have more miles than that does. just keep up with oil changes and this wont be a problem for you.

if it is in great condition, it's definitely a gem being one of the 1st edition 9-5 aeros. its extremely hard to come by older aero manuals with low miles, so if you can get it for the right price id definitely be buying it.

i would probably pay as much as 7500 for one if it is pristine and full maintenance records.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you can get it for $7-8K, go for it. Just understand that there are going to be things that pop up for repair, as with any car, but Saab specific things to look for:

1)Check to see if the theft alarm module has been replaced. The batteries seem to run down in the alarm module and cause an error message. Also causes the alarm go off for no reason.

2)Check the pixels on the SID. If there are any missing, it's probably a good sign that the display is on it's way out.

3) Was the DIC been replaced under warranty?

Good luck and enjoy the car. They are a ton of fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeah, that's way too high. What dealership in Michigan are you getting it at? I have a 2000 Manual Aero, so it's extra rare...kind of. First year for the Aeros. You'll love the car as long as you don't pay 11k for it. I payed MUCH less for mine, however mine also had 148k miles on it when I bought it. However, a quick drop of the sump and I was reassured that this car will last me a long time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with everyone else, its too much.

I got my 06 9-5 fully loaded with both visual and performance packages (nav, xenon, heated/vented seats, sun roof, etc.) With 47k miles for 16k last year.

Definitely get that car down much lower then 11k specially for an 01.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got them down to 8400. I looked underneath and it looks clean.

I talked to the previous owner, and always used syn oil.

Some pixels on the SID are gone.

Squeakyness on the clutch as well when pressing down.

·
Registered
516 Posts
got them down to 8400. I looked underneath and it looks clean.
Squeakyness on the clutch as well when pressing down.
Nice work, and nice find. Now, bank the difference for repairs ;)

I thought my clutch was squeaking as well. Turns out it was my seat squeaking when my leg moved to press it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The car may have been built in mid to late 2000. Regardless of miles, plastic and rubber still ages with time, plastic gets brittle and rubber expands, contracts, then hardens and needs to be replaced. Saabs are full of plastic and rubber, (think water pump seals, gaskets, ect.) so expect to do some work. If the car was stored in a climate controlled garage, that would be a pretty big bonus, but otherwise the car is way overpriced.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
$8400 still seems a lot for a 9/10 year old car to me.........

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Another concern for me is this "near mint" description..............with missing pixels on the SID and something squeaking...........

By the way, the gearbox has to come out to do the clutch, not cheap!

The previous owner may have used fully synth, but how often was it changed, and what about the owner before that?

Tell you what for $9000 you can have my car!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Time ages a car just as well as miles. I would rather buy a 2004 with 100K on it. The price is still too much.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts