SaabCentral Forums banner

Butterfly spring tension

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  sandraqu 
#1 · (Edited)
Near the base of the spring, on the throttle body, there is a screw which takes an allen wrench. Around that screw is a nut, I'm guessing a lock nut. I'd like to increase the spring tension on the butterfly which, in theory, is remaining a little open when I shift gears and revving up the car.

Ooh, found a picture and an answer to my question on a BMW forum: It sets where the butterfly stops.

For the curious, see top right of first picture in this thread. Please note it's a different forum.

--Sandra

#3 ·
Near the base of the spring, on the throttle body, there is a screw which takes an allen wrench. Around that screw is a nut, I'm guessing a lock nut. I'd like to increase the spring tension on the butterfly which, in theory, is remaining a little open when I shift gears and revving up the car.

Ooh, found a picture and an answer to my question on a BMW forum: It sets where the butterfly stops.

For the curious, see top right of first picture in this thread. Please note it's a different forum.

--Sandra
I'm sure that this is factory set , set once ,set right.
However, there is the wear factor...
IMO, a truly rebuilt unit is better, the settings are very precise.

#4 ·
The car is revving up during shifts (manual trans.). See earlier post.

Right now, there is no CEL, but once in a while TCS OFF and CEL lights come on at the same time and the car goes into Limp Mode (LHM). The only symptom that I can see is this revving up between shifts. Turbo works. Car idles steady at about 900 RMPs.

I read in another forum (where that person's car was revving up 3-4K RPMS) that may be butterfly is sticking and remaining open. My car does not revv up like that, it only stays where it is when I depress clutch to shift, or goes up just a little, about 300 (three-hundred) RMPs.

I cleaned the Throttle Body– following this method. By deducing from posts read thus far, things point to TB replacement.

@earthworm– I just saw your post. More support to a TB replacement.

Does a used TB need "reprogramming" or may I just put it in there?

#6 · (Edited)
What are other symptoms of a failing ABS Module?

I did go to Autozone that day to get the code checked, but this particular branch was subpar in that the clerk would not check my code because the store was understaffed.

I do have an air leak somewhere. I know that– would anyone have a picture with the air flow system highlighted?

Lastly, the "shift up" light is not acting accordingly anymore. It used to consistently come on after 2K RPM, now it's a hit or miss. Comes on at all manner of RPMs anywhere from 1900 to not coming on at all (even past 4,000 RPMs).

#8 ·
Have BBA-Reman TB and SAAB dealer O-rings in hand. Went to SAAB dealer to get hoses also, but they did could not locate them in their computer catalog. I met a technician there who said that they did not replace the hoses when replacing the throttle body. Tsk Tsk. They gave me 3 feet of vacuum hose for free (though the diameter may be too big).

Tomorrow I will attempt to replace the TB.

Oh! Finally had code (when TCS OFF and CEL) read: P1230.

#11 ·
For the record: There was nothing wrong with the original TB. It was tested and it is in perfect working condition. The bolts holding it down were loose, and it was missing an o-ring, therefore I was getting errors making it a suspect item.

Before you go spending $$$ for a rebuilt or new one, be sure to check the o-rings of your existing TB, and also make sure it is properly bolted and properly tightened. It may save you a bundle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.