SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! I just got my '83 a few months ago and I wanna do stuff to it. Here's a list of objectives I have in mind. Suggestions on any are welcome.

*Intercooler
*Better Turbo
*All wheel drive conversion
*Upgrade to 16 valve system
*replacement of Continuos Injection with Jetronic
*Supercharger=Good idea?
*Newer Engine? (just an idea I like knocking around)
*Lower
*Weight Reduction (how far can I go?)
*Tuning Suggestions
*Absolutely any mod ideas are welcome.
*Any ideas for more horsepower welcome.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
All wheel drive...

Better solution is to do what many others have done, and that would be to get another drivetrain and suspension and put that in the back, then drive with the other engine in front. Do the gearing right, and you could shift with one stick and one clutch pedal, and be pushing 400 horsepower easily :lol: Plus you'd equalize the weight distribution quite a bit :D

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
*Intercooler - Front Mounted is best: Volvo 740/760.
*Better Turbo - TD04
*All wheel drive conversion - LOL :lol:
*Upgrade to 16 valve system - Don't bother
*replacement of Continuos Injection with Jetronic - Don't know with 8V's but someone might
*Supercharger=Good idea? - Not really. You've got the turbo already.
*Newer Engine? (just an idea I like knocking around) - If it's knackered, change it.
*Lower - Lots on this in the archives.
*Weight Reduction (how far can I go?) - Take out the back seat
*Tuning Suggestions - APC tweak as per www.900aero.com
*Absolutely any mod ideas are welcome. - See above
*Any ideas for more horsepower welcome - See above

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
No, that was the whole point of the 16v

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
standard v.s. standard I think the surface area would be larger with the 16v but once you start race tuning 900's it stops being a major concern. I guess with 16 valves to open your also making the engine do more work.

·
Registered
804 Posts
ejenner said:
standard v.s. standard I think the surface area would be larger with the 16v but once you start race tuning 900's it stops being a major concern. I guess with 16 valves to open your also making the engine do more work.
Actually, I haven't seen many Saabs "race-tuned"; most high-performance Saabs still keep the revlimit below 7K, often still at 6k. Below 6K, there's almost no difference between 16v and 8v except that the 16v has a more efficient symmetrical combustion chamber.

Of course this is all bearing in mind that the 16v C900 heads were some of the most restrictive 16v heads ever made. Even the "larger" 2.1/2.3L head still only flows about 206 CFM whereas a Subaru WRX head flows about 260, 290 for the Spec-C and an old F20 Mitsubishi head flows 320 CFM. The "smaller" 2.0L heads flow between 175-195 CFM depending on year.

-Adrian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts