SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, the engine sounds just like a diesel and it burns a lot of oil. By the time the next 3000 miles oil change comes, I have pretty much already replaced the original oil by adding all the time.

What does it sound like and approximately how much are we looking at? I've had the same case on a previous work and it was some major valves work, pretty expensive too.

thanks!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Rosko said:
Yes, the engine sounds just like a diesel and it burns a lot of oil. By the time the next 3000 miles oil change comes, I have pretty much already replaced the original oil by adding all the time.

What does it sound like and approximately how much are we looking at? I've had the same case on a previous work and it was some major valves work, pretty expensive too.

thanks!
ummmmm. THis is very odd. These engines are legendary for durability, long life, and lack of oil burn.

One fellow got 1 million miles out of the original engine and it still ran perfect and burned no oil.

Something is seriously wrong.

I would replace the engine with a junker one. These engines are worthless second hand because they never wear out and there is no demand.

I would put money that any junker engine with clean oil will run like new.

·
Registered
888 Posts
bearing, wrist pin or valve noise. I'd bet you have a problem in your valve train. I would take the head off and have a look. The bottom end of these things really is tough, especially on a non turbo car. I would stop driving it, as you are risking dropping a valve and ruining an otherwise good lower end.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
dasander said:
bearing, wrist pin or valve noise. I'd bet you have a problem in your valve train. I would take the head off and have a look. The bottom end of these things really is tough, especially on a non turbo car. I would stop driving it, as you are risking dropping a valve and ruining an otherwise good lower end.
Yeah, the diesel noise (sound like an old WWII tank?) and the burning oil seal points to the valve train (as stated, the bottom ends are rock solid, and it's not a turbo car, so no oil to burn there). The burning oil may be a valve stem seal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the funny thing is that it only has 100k miles on it. I just changed the oil and the mechanic told me that there is clear indication of a leak as well. Goes on the priority list :(

Any idea how much is the valve work going to cost me approximately? To what I remember from last time, once the head is off there are additional things that is good to be done - the head gasket, also my previous mechanic had to grind the head before fitting it back to the block with the new gasket (all on a different car though, not a SAAB).

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
If the mechanic told you of a leak, then probably it isn't burning the oil (unless you can clearly see the smoke).

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Rosko said:
Any idea how much is the valve work going to cost me approximately? To what I remember from last time, once the head is off there are additional things that is good to be done - the head gasket, also my previous mechanic had to grind the head before fitting it back to the block with the new gasket (all on a different car though, not a SAAB).
If you pull the head, then yes, you're going to need a new gasket on reassembly.

You shouldn't need to get the head skimmed - that would have been done to correct the cause of a blown head gasket, which isn't applicable in this instance.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Whren I had my head rebuilt it was about $600.00 four years ago.:suprised; It had two burned valves. I had to do this when I bought the car, I have put 50k on with NO problems.:D

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Rosko said:

thanks!
Is the car a turbo? If it is, you could have turbo seals that are letting oil leak through and that would certainly result in oil being consumed.

As for 'sounding like a diesel' is the engine 8V or 16V? 8V's do tend to have more of a 'mechanical' sound because they use mechanical lifters instead of the hydraulic lifters used in the 16V engines.

If the engine has a turbo, and it's sounding like a diesel, it could be turbo whine which can be an indicator of turbo bearings wearing. It could also relate to the excessive consumption of oil.

Craig.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
c900 said:
Is the car a turbo? If it is, you could have turbo seals that are letting oil leak through and that would certainly result in oil being consumed.

As for 'sounding like a diesel' is the engine 8V or 16V? 8V's do tend to have more of a 'mechanical' sound because they use mechanical lifters instead of the hydraulic lifters used in the 16V engines.

If the engine has a turbo, and it's sounding like a diesel, it could be turbo whine which can be an indicator of turbo bearings wearing. It could also relate to the excessive consumption of oil.

Craig.
No, non-turbo with hydraulic 16V. The problem is elsewhere. Iam taking all your recommendations into account, thanks guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts