SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first starter motor died, I bought a new one on ebay for real cheap, that died about a little less than a month after installing. Went to auto zone and got a duralast, this one lasted about 4 months, and now is exhibiting issues. Last night it wouldn't crank on the first few key turns, heard a click but that was it.

Obviously there has to be something killing them. Could it be the battery? I bought and replaced it from home depot, I never looked at the CCA or CA of it, and from my readings in this thread, it seems to be that these cars are very picky with proper amps and voltages.

But honestly I have no idea, so any and all ideas are welcome!

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
So my first starter motor died, I bought a new one on ebay for real cheap, that died about a little less than a month after installing. Went to auto zone and got a duralast, this one lasted about 4 months, and now is exhibiting issues. Last night it wouldn't crank on the first few key turns, heard a click but that was it.

Obviously there has to be something killing them. Could it be the battery? I bought and replaced it from home depot, I never looked at the CCA or CA of it, and from my readings in this thread, it seems to be that these cars are very picky with proper amps and voltages.

But honestly I have no idea, so any and all ideas are welcome!
I’d go weak battery and poor/corroded grounding as my guess. :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna check all grounds. But the battery has the correct CCA and CA.
Several threads on this.

Does it make a distinctive buzzing or whirring sound?
I honestly haven't found anything when I searched "starter motor dying."

But nope. No noises from it at all that sound out of normal for it.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction for these other threads?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
I'm gonna check all grounds. But the battery has the correct CCA and CA.I honestly haven't found anything when I searched "starter motor dying."

But nope. No noises from it at all that sound out of normal for it.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction for these other threads?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Correct CCA/CA is only half the battle. What it’s actually putting out is the other half... time to get it tested.

·
Registered
939 Posts
A lot of starters today are rebuilt poorly. I assume the Autozone one has a warranty? If so, maybe just try another.

On the other hand, Bosch rebuilds have a good reputation.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update:

So I took off the ground wire to the frame from the battery, had a bit of corrosion on it (white crusty stuff) used my dremel and cleaned it up really good. Did this about a month and a half ago and so far it hasn't given me any issues. I honestly think the bad ground was causing them to die prematurely by not having the necessary amperage for starting. This put too much load on the motor and poof.

Lets hope it lasts! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
Just an update:

So I took off the ground wire to the frame from the battery, had a bit of corrosion on it (white crusty stuff) used my dremel and cleaned it up really good. Did this about a month and a half ago and so far it hasn't given me any issues. I honestly think the bad ground was causing them to die prematurely by not having the necessary amperage for starting. This put too much load on the motor and poof.

Lets hope it lasts! Lol

My invoice to you is in the mail... :cool:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My invoice to you is in the mail... :cool:
Okay. Welp. Guess what. My starter is dead again. After 6 months.

Anyone, where and what do I look for?

I'm thinking a short, but where? Ground is good. Connection is strong and full 12 volts being read. Nothing appears melted or corroded.

Could something be wrong with the flywheel?

It's just, there's no warning signs. No bad sounds when starting. It starts right up. Then I'll go try to start it like this morning and - click. And that's it. Solenoid works, but motor itself is not spinning. Bypass of the ignition does the same thing.

It's covered under warranty but still, this is getting old. Could autozone open it up for me to let me look inside to see anything obvious?

Could the alternator have anything to do with it?

I'm really lost here as everything I've thought of checks out

And for the record, no sounds are coming from it. No noises or anything typical to a failing starter

·
Super Moderator
20,202 Posts
Perhaps buy an OEM Saab one? Or a good one, like Bosch?

·
Registered
283 Posts
FYI
gm one is exact same part as for a vectra.
Edit** sorry I assumed it's a 2.0**

Havetrouble here in Australia with parts at dealer (Holden in this case) not wanting to look up "Saab" parts. They also charge about 1/4 the price for exact same part If it's for a Holden(Vauxhall) instead of a Saab....what's that about

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went with Duralast Gold (Brand new NOT re-manufactured). From the beginning, I notice a huge difference. When I start the car, the motor keeps spinning a few seconds, like I hear it winding down. The others before never did this. This tells me the rebuilds were crap. Everything seems so much free-er and more easily spinning. I can't switch brands now cause I have lifetime warranty from AutoZone. Unless replacing them gets absurd, like one every 6ish months, then I will. But honestly, just looking at it, and hearing it, it sounds a million times better than the two rebuilds I had before.

Thank you all for the help! I'll keep updating as time elapses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts