SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Today I popped the hood of my car to finally brush off this black sludge like matterial on the sides of my engine. It has been there since I bought the car, but I never bothered with it. After that I washed my car and took it for a spin. the drive went fine, as usual, but when I got home and out of the car, I smelled oil being burnt. So I popped the hood and saw that some of the sludge like materials were resting on the headers (I think those are headers =], I don't know much about engines) and it was smoking. I wiped it off and carryed on with ym bussiness. What I want to know is.
1)Is this actully "sludge" that you guys talk about
2)Was I burning oil? I checked my dipstick and the level never changes much.

The car only runs with synthetic oil if that helps.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
No, when we say "sludge", we mean tarry oil deposits inside the engine, not on the outside.

On the outside, it is usually just small oil leaks accumulating from valve cover. The valve cover gaskets should be replaced once or twice in the life of the engine, they dry out and leak otherwise. Small leaks from the valve cover are not a big deal.

Some of the crud ended up on the cast metal exhaust manifold at the front of the engine, and burned off, aside from the smell and a few stains, again, no big deal.

Burning oil means oil is getting inside the cylinder, one way or another, blue smoke would come out the exhaust. The exhaust would smell of burned oil.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Classic "oil burning" is an engine internal thing, oil is forced past the piston oil control rings - blue smoke results..

Rare today..

The sludge is also an internal affair - crud that congregates around and on the oil pump screen.
You have oil seeping from the head gasket or the cam cover or both - this is common ....

·
Super Moderator
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok thanks for the help. Buying a new "head gasket" is cheap, but is it tough to do?
By the way, there is something at the bottom of my engine, underneither exhaust that comes to a point. the point has a bolt attached to it. It seems like that is sort of seperated a little bit. It appears that there is oil comeing from that as well. Should I tighten that? Should I take a picture of it or do you guys know what I'm talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts