SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at my exhaust tip the very end is moist and the inside of the tip has a coating of oil if i rub my finger in it it comes off like a thick black grease. the cel is on and the code is for the 0xygen sensor, i'm replacing it tomorrow any ideas if that could be the cause?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Oil consumption ?

I suspect the turbo seals.
Check for oil inside the induction pipes.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
turbojohnny said:
looking at my exhaust tip the very end is moist and the inside of the tip has a coating of oil if i rub my finger in it it comes off like a thick black grease. the cel is on and the code is for the 0xygen sensor, i'm replacing it tomorrow any ideas if that could be the cause?
Check if you're burning oil first. You might foul the new sensor needlessly if it's burning oil. Fix the oil (if it's indeed oil) consumption first.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Turbo Exhaust Seal

As earthworm said above, but in more detail:

The turbo has two parts, the turbine which is driven by the exhaust, and the compressor which pushes air into the engine.

When a small amount of oil is going through the compressor into the engine, it will burn to soot, and the lip of the exhaust will not be oily, just soot and water condensation. This is normal for the turbo version of the engine after 100k. Small amounts of oil come from the PCV system into the turbo (compressor inlet), and from there into the hose and "charge-air" pipe from the turbo and into the throttle body. This will not normally affect the front O2 sensor. It just means there is too much oil coming from the crankcase ventillation (PCV) system.

An oil leak in the turbine (turbo exhaust seal) feeds unburned oil directly into the exhaust. The oil fouls the front O2 sensor (therefore the CEL), and only partially burns up when it hits the catalytic converter. Some of the oil turns into white smoke in the first minutes after start, some will be found on the lip of the exhaust. Oil drops will be found on a towel or piece of carboard held behind the exhaust.

Burned oil makes blue smoke. Unburned oil makes white-ish smoke. Running rich makes black or brown smoke (soot).

In combination, a fouled front O2 sensor and oil in the exhaust are an early warning of turbo exhaust seal failure.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diosnoche said:
engine burning oil. Do you notice any trace of blue smoke from the exhaust when you get on it?
there isn't any blue smoke but there is white smoke and for some reason my car only has one oxygen sensor on it. is there supposed to be two?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
PMIs post has the answer

OBD II requires two oxygen sensors, you have OBD I, and, correct me if I am wrong, you have but one sensor... which may be oil fouled by now...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the oxygen sensor is bad my replacement should be here tomorrow. i'll check a few things before i put it in. like oil in the charge pipes and whatnot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts