SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm burning a 1/4 to 1/2 qt a week, lots of soot at the tail pipe but no smoke and no leaks, the oil is really black a couple days after a change. i dropped the downpipe and the turbo has no play and clear of soot,it boost fine.there's no oil in intake tubes and i did the rubber glove test on the oil filler tube and i'm getting some vacuum. the one way check valve works. compression test was 170+ on all cylinders.i did notice the #3 spark plug was really gunked up,black and white build up but it wasn't wet, the rest were ok. plugs are 4 months old, cassette is new, i use 10w 30 0r 40 it's an 07" with 115k. what else should i check to solve this problem. thanks in advance

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wow, that sounds tough to find. Like, it could be in the engine from what you are saying .. any recent work on engine? I would get on ramps and jet wash, then run it a while and re-cjeck it on ramps to find the leak, .

BE careful jet washing though - I unawares loosened my fog light with the pressure and it later dropped out and I ran over it.

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a leak somewhere and aren't burning the oil. That much oil would be a fogger

but that would show up elsewhere, with puddles under the car.

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Get someone to drive behind you while you drive. accelerate, decelerate, drive constant speeds, etc. if you're burning oil the person behind you will see it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on first start up this morning when pressing the gass, a puff of black smoke and also light bluish smoke

Get someone to drive behind you while you drive. accelerate, decelerate, drive constant speeds, etc. if you're burning oil the person behind you will see it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds like valve stem seals, from your description. Our '02 was burning a quart every 600-700 miles, with no smoke, until I did those seals and re-ringed the pistons. Consumption dropped to almost nothing after that work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply, looks like im in the same boat. any tips on doing the seals and rings

Sounds like valve stem seals, from your description. Our '02 was burning a quart every 600-700 miles, with no smoke, until I did those seals and re-ringed the pistons. Consumption dropped to almost nothing after that work.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Valve stem seals can be done on-engine with a little work. You'd have to pull the head to get at the pistons for rings. It's a fairly complicated job that requires some special tools but is not a "dealer only" thing.

If you go after the seals be sure to also order some spare valve spring keeper shims. They're easy to lose or break if you're not careful and there's nothing more maddening than having 15 of 16 valves ready to run.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
I have a 2000 Aero that burns about 1 quart every 2000-2500 miles. The head was completely gone over about 50,000 miles ago with all new seals, so I've always assumed it was the rings. I recently rebuilt the engine on my 2001 Aero, and it burns almost no oil in between 5000 mile oil changes.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Welp, im in the same boat so I will try to do the valve stemseals, dont really want to mess with the Piston rings although I probably need it done as well.

Any insight on how to do the seals? and is any one brand better than another when ordering the parts

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
In car if the valves don't leak you pressurize the cylinder with a compressor to a reasonably high pressure and then compress the springs and do one valve at a time

Or take the head off and do it out of the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts