SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy 9-5ers......Left the Saab community for a bit, looking to rejoin by purchasing an '04 9-5 Aero sedan. Both of the side mirrors on this particular vehicle are burned-out. Obviously, they're heated....but what causes it? Easy fix? Cost? Common problem? Hopefully, we can agree to a good price and I'll be back where I belong. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
If they are auto-dimming and the problem is discolouration of the lens then the only solution is new glass from a dealer, very expensive and no alternatives. The problem is caused by the dimming sandwich layer in the glass breaking down.

To save loads of cash you can replace with standard heated glass.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, saabtwin. If I can get auto-dimming ones used, is it a difficult process to remove the current burnt ones and replace them? Or would the entire unit need replacing?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Easy to replace the glass, just manually press the glass fully in at one side and then use a screwdriver or similar to prise it off. It's held on with a push on centre ring, have a look on ebay for photos of new ones and you may see the plastic ring on the reverse of the glass.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Explain burnt out? do mean they don't work; or you need new mirrors? If heating is the problem; these mirrors are only heated when the you activate (on/off) the rear window heating.

Howdy 9-5ers......Left the Saab community for a bit, looking to rejoin by purchasing an '04 9-5 Aero sedan. Both of the side mirrors on this particular vehicle are burned-out. Obviously, they're heated....but what causes it? Easy fix? Cost? Common problem? Hopefully, we can agree to a good price and I'll be back where I belong. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy to replace the glass, just manually press the glass fully in at one side and then use a screwdriver or similar to prise it off. It's held on with a push on centre ring, have a look on ebay for photos of new ones and you may see the plastic ring on the reverse of the glass.
Wonderful, Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Explain burnt out? do mean they don't work; or you need new mirrors? If heating is the problem; these mirrors are only heated when the you activate (on/off) the rear window heating.
By burned out, I mean they are literally charred on the outside. I assumed it was the heating unit, but I think saabtwin is correct, it's the "autodim" feature that literally broke down in between the glass.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wonderful, Thanks.
Just installed new mirrors on my GF's 05 9-3 today which mounts the same as the 9-5. After some research there's 3 choices - 1. Expensive replacements at about $170 per side, 2. Cheap replacements at $30 per side, or 3. Replacement glass that has to be re-glued.

I went with #2 (off ebay), but in hindsight I should of gone with #3.

Link for #3...

https://www.internetglassnetwork.com/ssl/saab/9_5.htm

One more note...Removing the mirrors is easy. As mentioned if you push the mirror in to one side you can access the metal clip that holds in in place. BUT even when removed the mirror can be stuck on the mount as it was in my case. I pulled a bit too hard and pulled out one of the plastic gear arms that actuates the mirrors. It was easy to put back in place but be extra careful when pulling on the mirrors.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Saaber95er.....if I end up getting this particular car, I'll check out that place on ebay - thanks so much. Is aspheric the auto-dim feature, or does it mean the magnified, outer edge?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Yes,,,
Thanks Saaber95er.....if I end up getting this particular car, I'll check out that place on ebay - thanks so much. Is aspheric the auto-dim feature, or does it mean the magnified, outer edge?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts