SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 9-3 Linear. I would like to have some type of upgrade performed to make the drive less sensitive to bumps in the road and road noise (I'm talking about small bumps from normal street surfaces). Someone once explained to me that since I bought a 'sports vehicle', it is by nature sensitive to the surface of the road. If this is true, what I'd like to do is make it less sensitive, for a 'smoother', quieter drive. Any suggestions or experiences with this type of upgrade? Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Change the tires. The Pirelli's make a great deal of road noise. If you notice, a lot of 9-3 owners have the 16inch 10spoke Arc rims. 17's and up have too little rubber so when u hit bumps u feel and hear them. 16's still look like they fill the wheel well just right. Changing the tires is the first thing to do, gonna have to do some research on them but I think Continental's are the ones most people prefer to my knowledge. Yes the car no matter what is gonna have some "driver feedback". If you want less feedback, should have gotten a 9-5. Get one as a loaner and you'll know what i'm talking about, they go through bumps like it's nothing. Be glad you dont have an Aero, technically they feel more bumps and what not with their different suspension.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You might also want to check out Yokohoma tires. I had them on my 9000 and was very happy with ride quality and low noise levels. They did sacrifice a bit of the handling, but there always has to be some sort of trade-off. It's one of those wierd things... tires can really change the driving dynamics of a car much more than you would expect.

What wheel/ tire size do you have? I know that there is a considerable difference in ride quality between my 15" winter wheels and 17" summer wheels. If you have the 17" wheels, I am sure you could gladly exchange with a member on here for some 16" wheels;).

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
if you have an '04 linear, i'm guessing you have 15" rims (unless you upgraded them). if your car is sitting on 15's already and you think the ride is too harsh over bumps, you bought the wrong car. there isn't a lot you can unless you want to start changing suspension parts. the 9-3's suspension is not very forgiving, even in linear form...but that's what makes this car handle the way it does. maybe you should have looked into a crown victoria.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cojoroh said:
if you have an '04 linear, i'm guessing you have 15" rims (unless you upgraded them). if your car is sitting on 15's already and you think the ride is too harsh over bumps, you bought the wrong car. there isn't a lot you can unless you want to start changing suspension parts. the 9-3's suspension is not very forgiving, even in linear form...but that's what makes this car handle the way it does. maybe you should have looked into a crown victoria.
I thought the same thing...then I recently drove a 2006 BMW 330 and a 2005 C-class Mercedes. Both had far better ride comfort / smoothness than the 9-3, despite both being equipped with 17" rims. I have to admit as a 9-3 aero owner I became quite envious.

Why can't Saab figure out how to build a car with 17" rims that also provides good ride quality?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts