SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what colour paint to use to repaint the bumpers and side panels. They are starting to crack and peel. thanks
david

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
davidlytle said:
I need to know what colour paint to use to repaint the bumpers and side panels. They are starting to crack and peel. thanks
david
The labels with the factory paint and trim codes are either on the right-side inner 'fender' with the compliance plate, builders plate, etc. or under the false floor at the back of the central chassis member.

'trim' in this context refers to the interior panels/fabric.

To look up paint codes, I generally use the PaintScratch website if I don't have any colour charts on hand.

Craig.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im talking about the outside panels that are connected to the bumpers in the front and back by the fenders. with the chrome stips in the middle. I need to repaint them and I dont think they are black. they are a greyish colour. just wondering what colour they call it so I can re do them

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I just went and got them matched on my old T16. Turned out great:

Not OEM. Nobody could match the code to any books.:(

·
Registered
888 Posts
I repainted mine with SEM charcoal rubber bumper paint. It is a spray can but it actually a professional quality paint. I had my doubts but it actually came out quite nice. Other 900 owners have asked me where I found my NOS bumpers. When I did my front bumper I repaired some nicks in the bumper with two part rubber bumper epoxy before I painted it. Autobody supply and some autoparts stores carry SEM products.
I replaced my chrome strip on the rear bumper with aftermarket chrome stick on side molding. I replaced it five years ago and it still looks good. It is not quite as flat as the saab piece, it has a slight curve to its profile. You have to really look for it to notice it is slightly diffrent. Even when I point it out people look at it and cannot tell what I am talking about.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will totally check that out. I live in AZ and it is so hot here that my bumpers look horrible and need to be repainted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another paint that works really well is a Duplicolor bumper coating paint. It comes in a few different shades, light grey, graphite, dark grey, and black. Of these, the dark grey seems to be a pretty close match for the factory color. I refinished my bumpers and Aero kit with this paint as well as Saab6's Aero kit. Check out his thread, The "S" Then and Now, to see.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on that is beautiful! It looks like brand new bumpers! that is from the re-paint? Wow I will check t hat out and get some. Is the prep work pretty easy? like do I need to sand down pretty far or just rough it up and finish with some fine grain sand paper?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts