SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday went to a U-Pull It yard and found a rust free hood for my 92 900S convertible. I was psyched because now the car has zero rust except some surface rust starting at the bottom door edges. I mean zero rust except the gosh darn bumper supports I noticed when replacing the hood. The rust is out at the ends where the bumper mounts. It looks like 3"-4" of the support is just rusting away. Soon my bumper will not be attached.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? The car runs great, great body, only needs a new top and seat covers, so I do not want to junk it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Well you can take everything apart and weld in new metal! :p It looks like it is even broken at the mount you show.

Kind of a pain in the *** though because of the complex shape

alternatively try to cover everything in POR-15 or at least spray old motor oil all over to keep it from getting worse...

Not worth to scrap the car of course, worst case take off the bumper and go without :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
go back to the junk yard with an angle grinder and cut them off of a C900 in there, then cut yours off and fit the new ones. its sounds daunting bit it isnt really that bad to do. in saying that, i have never seen bumper ends rust out that bad (or even at all) before :S

at a quick glance i am thinking that your C900 may have had a bit of a dodgy crash repair in its early days..

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Check your drive tunnels to make sure they haven't suffered the same fate...
If you can see lots of rust in the hole where the drive axle goes through from the hub to the gearbox, you have bigger problems. Post pics of that and we'll tell you whether to junk your car. Lots of 900s are pretty and shiny on the top, but then their drive tunnels and rear shock mounts are swiss cheese!

If all's well then time to get out the zipties!!!!!:p:cheesy::p:cheesy:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All is well from the radiator back, it's just the front 6 inches of the bumper supports. I am surprised too, that is all that is rusty. The only other rusty spot on the car is the gas door.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is funny you mention zip ties, because I cut one thinking it was doing nothing and that's when I noticed my problem. The previous owner must have known what was going on down there and had prepped for it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I would go with what Chris says, just go to the yard, and cut off supports from another car and bring'em home. Make sure you get slightly more than you need; it's better to get too much and have to grind them down a bit than to get not enough and need to get another set!

Since I'm not a welder, I'd just take that to a body shop you trust and get them to weld the new ones in, grind that down, and paint it back so that you can't even tell they were replaced. Just make sure that they are properly level though, otherwise your bumper will have a bit tougher time fitting in, and if the left and right aren't at the same level, your bumper is going to slant to one side a bit...ask me how I know :roll:

li Arc

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It is funny you mention zip ties, because I cut one thinking it was doing nothing and that's when I noticed my problem. The previous owner must have known what was going on down there and had prepped for it.
Heh heh--zip ties are never there without a purpose:cheesy::lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts