SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bumper covers are relatively new, but I can expect them to deteriorate over time. Plus there are some scratches on them.

Can someone share tips on how to make them last, and how to repair scratches on them? They aren't deep and will probably disappear with some light sanding.

I've found new bumper covers, but are in grey. I've also only seen them in black. What were the grey ones one?

Lastly, what paint adheres and stays on the bumpers? How are the Ruby editions painted?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The Ruby Edition are colour-coded to the paintwork, apart from the centre section which is original moulded finish and has the chrome strip. I have found the original moulded finish stands up very well with just general cleaning. My vert has original bumpers and the finish is very good apart from some minor damage which is now invisible after repair. If you are going to spray them use a pvc or vinyl paint which adheres with no special surface treatment apart from cleaning and it is flexible. I have found the bumper repair aerosols work well and they smell like vinyl although I use a spray gun. I use the matt finish which matches the original perfectly with just a slight sheen. If you use any other paint (don't) you will need to get a plastic primer usually available in an aerosol. If you need to remove scratches I have found extremely fine wire wool does the job and leaves the surface looking original. Good luck Paul

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the same treatment apply to the spoilers as well? I don't know what the original looks like when new, tho I have a sense of it looking at the underside of the tail spoiler.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The standard tail spoiler is a different material to the bumpers but vinyl paint would certainly adhere to it in the same way. Haven't tried the steel wool treatment on a spoiler but you could try it very gently to start with. I think it might work ok. The vert side spoilers seem to be a different open textured sort of finish that is difficult to keep looking good but they do respond to the vinyl spray treatment quite well.

·
Banned
35 Posts
My issue with painting a spoiler is the potential for cracking. I would suggest looking for a flexible finish. Anything standard on that spoiler it may crack. (harilines/spider webbing ect).

·
Registered
664 Posts
hondaman did a spoiler re-fresh, and posted a good amount of progress pics. The finished product looks amazing.

I don't know how to post the link (techno-peasant), but if you do a search for hondaman you'll find the thread. "Doing what they said couldn't be done"...

OH! Wait... I think I remember how to post a link... If it doesn't work someone can school me.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215979&highlight=hondaman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts