SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long ago you could go to Radio Shack and buy some 12v panel light bulbs to replace the bulbs in the dash, SID and ACC. They don't exist anymore so I'm wondering where to go since I've got a bunch out and want to do a replacement. (and don't want to pay the exorbitant price for Saab ones)

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I bought some of these:

They do not come with a base, just bare wires. You have to “thread” the wire around the base like the stock one to use them, but they are cheap!!

I’d be also interested in replacing them all from super bright leds.com. I did that in my Porsche, but it was a bit of a process, removing a bulb, finding a match and making the order then instal. I must have made 4-5 orders, a little at a time. But the car was laid up for other stuff so it wasn’t a big deal.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
I assume your 9-5 is pre 2003 when the IP bulbs were replaced by LEDs. (Which suck in my opinion.)

I pull the bulbs out of cars in the junkyard. The SID bulbs can come out of NG900, OG9-3, or 9-5 SIDs. (NG900 had two different brightnesses; I think the 9-3/9-5 version uses just the brighter bulbs.) Ditto for the ACC, though I think those may be a slightly different wattage again. (The bases are colour coded, there are white, grey, and black bulbs for sure.)

A spare instrument panel will provide pretty much all the bulbs that you might need. Assuming the 9-5 panel is similar to the NG900/OG9-3 panel, there is basically one variety of bulbs that does the illumination as well as the warning lights. There are enough warning lights that shouldn't be on all the time (even in a Saab!!!) to replace all illumination bulbs, as well as the most likely to be on for a while bulbs (ABS, Check Engine, SRS). The charging light is different, as are the lights for the odo readout, but those rarely go bad.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume your 9-5 is pre 2003 when the IP bulbs were replaced by LEDs. (Which suck in my opinion.)

I pull the bulbs out of cars in the junkyard. The SID bulbs can come out of NG900, OG9-3, or 9-5 SIDs. (NG900 had two different brightnesses; I think the 9-3/9-5 version uses just the brighter bulbs.) Ditto for the ACC, though I think those may be a slightly different wattage again. (The bases are colour coded, there are white, grey, and black bulbs for sure.)

A spare instrument panel will provide pretty much all the bulbs that you might need. Assuming the 9-5 panel is similar to the NG900/OG9-3 panel, there is basically one variety of bulbs that does the illumination as well as the warning lights. There are enough warning lights that shouldn't be on all the time (even in a Saab!!!) to replace all illumination bulbs, as well as the most likely to be on for a while bulbs (ABS, Check Engine, SRS). The charging light is different, as are the lights for the odo readout, but those rarely go bad.
yea, I used to pull them from junkyards when I lived in CA, I'd get a half dozen of them every time I went because there were lots of Saabs there. In PA, not so much.

Tboy said:
I bought some of these:
Thanks, I'll order some of those up. The Radio shack ones were the same you had to re-wire them onto the holders but they worked great. Didn't come with teh condoms on them though, I had to pull those off and re-use.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Oh, you are right. Just checked again, I also bought bulbs. The description said:

Box of 10 #7219 Lamp Bulb, 12 Volts, 60 mA, 0.72 Watt

Looks like the listing i used is no longer active, but this looks similar:

I think I bought the rubber covers because in my experience alot of them do not come off the old bulbs easily. I also was working on seat heater switches at the time, and I bought red covers for the indicator bulb (this was for my 9-5).

It's probably time to buy some more, and take inventory on what bulbs are out on the car again.

Just looked, those look just like the rubber caps and not the bulbs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts