SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
There are some smoking hot deals on the TourX right now. I am just not ready and hope they makes some changes for 2020.

My 9-5 running well, rides like it is on rails and has all the room I need. A couple of cosmetic fixes and I am good to go for another couple of years.

Maybe I will at least drive the Buick...
I wouldn't do that test drive unless you're ready to buy, you may end up driving it home. Then the buyers remorse kicks in.

For the cost of the license and a months payment, I bet you could get a lot of maintenance done on the 9-5.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I wouldn't do that test drive unless you're ready to buy, you may end up driving it home. Then the buyers remorse kicks in.

For the cost of the license and a months payment, I bet you could get a lot of maintenance done on the 9-5.

No kidding. But I see the VW sportwagon is still going strong with a manual... no diesel unfortunately. Unless you get an old one.

It is a tough call, but my 9-5 drives sooo nice. I will see what Buick does with this next year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish that GM had never gotten involved.. The mantra may be old, but it's true.

Yes, Saab was a leader in all the things you mention and then some, and within 20 years, they were dead once GM got into the mix.

My 2008 9-3 that my son drives is a pile of junk. It has the known intake valve problem, horrible sound on a cold start, etc. It's not worth rebuilding the engine, so once it's gone, I'm going Japanese and not looking back...

GM , as pathetic their marketing is, and as delusional their management, are still making the best cars they have ever made. The engineering is very good. Shortcomings are common to all manufacturers, but this mantra that "SAAB was great but GM screwed it up" is old. I was at SAAB in Sweden in 1979 when they were leaders in the industry with turbo charging, modular manufacturing execution, and the best handling FWD cars ever...

those days are long gone, and my 2007 9-5, aside from the ridiculous engine idle vibration ( that I think I can cure when it gets warmer) its a darn fine car. No reason to think the TourX would not be very good ( vinyl and chrome aside) and the whole manual/auto issue is a moot point these days....

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 2008 9-3 that my son drives is a pile of junk. It has the known intake valve problem, horrible sound on a cold start, etc. It's not worth rebuilding the engine, so once it's gone, I'm going Japanese and not looking back...
Does your son think it's junk also? My son drives the 08 9-3 around here. He still loves his even with the issues we have. It would have to be a very special Japanese car to get him to give up the keys.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So now that my 9-5 is dead (long live the 9-5..) I am debating whether to get a Tourx. I am trying to find another 9-5, but I did not realize HOW SPECIAL mine was. It is hard to find a wagon with all the options I had.

So, another 9-5, tourx or maybe a GMC Canyon Manual (they are phasing out the manuals, so there are only a small number left.)

IDK. I am driving my wife's Mariner with 250K on the clock. I wish Ford made a wagon that got decent mileage.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Like I had mentioned back in Jan, have you looked at the TDI Jetta/Golf sportwagen's? Still a lot of them out there fresh from emissions jail with low mileage.... and manual trans.

Been a while since I looked, but found quite a few within a days drive from me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Like I had mentioned back in Jan, have you looked at the TDI Jetta/Golf sportwagen's? Still a lot of them out there fresh from emissions jail with low mileage.... and manual trans.

Been a while since I looked, but found quite a few within a days drive from me.

I have. I also test drove the new Alltrack (manual) and I liked the peppy drive.

However, they want more than I would expect for the 2015 Golf TDI wagons. Some are priced closer to a new car. When I bought my SAAB, I almost bought a new 2015 TDI for 22K. In 2015.

They are not that much cheaper today. Plus, I have been spoiled by the SAAB seats.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have. I also test drove the new Alltrack (manual) and I liked the peppy drive.

However, they want more than I would expect for the 2015 Golf TDI wagons. Some are priced closer to a new car. When I bought my SAAB, I almost bought a new 2015 TDI for 22K. In 2015.

They are not that much cheaper today. Plus, I have been spoiled by the SAAB seats.
Hmm, I was seeing a lot of $12 - $14k prices on the ads I was looking at. They were at 30 - 50k miles on the odometer. Didn't think it was too bad of a deal. They've been sitting for some time waiting for the emissions fix, so dealers are flushing all fluids and putting new battery / tires on.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I just drove a 2008 E500. I think I might be getting one of them next. It will definitely be a used car to keep down cost but I was impressed for sure.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I am leaning toward a 2015 Golf Sportwagen, TDI, manual, SEL (The SEL mainly for the seats).

If I can find a good 9-5 Wagon, I would jump on that first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
IDK, it appears the VW's have horrible seats.

I may go back to looking for a 9-5 wagon...
Are the VW's seats really that bad? It will be a step down from Saab though. I owned a 2014 Jetta for 3 years and really didn't have any complaints. I was in it for the TDI and 6 speed though. VW seems to focus more on powertrain than creature comforts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Are the VW's seats really that bad? It will be a step down from Saab though. I owned a 2014 Jetta for 3 years and really didn't have any complaints. I was in it for the TDI and 6 speed though. VW seems to focus more on powertrain than creature comforts.

I will need to test drive the SEL, because the S and SE seats are not going to do it for me. But then again, my 9-5 seats were the most comfortable seats ever.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts