SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a TourX, read reviews and compared this to my 9-5 Combi. They look very similar. I think they are built on a similar platform too.

Anyway, I really like the car. I know some people don't like the plastic around the wheel wells, but since the Opel Insignia wagon (the TourX is basically an Opel Insignia wagon), I don't mind it.

But my 9-5 is better in so many different ways. I really love my hard package deck. It is such a useful feature of the 9-5 wagon that it is hard for me to see the soft "cover" being useful at all. I can't tell you how many times that has come into play when getting groceries or other items. It almost doubles my capacity.

My sight lines in the 9-5 are better and because of the back window slope in the TourX, I could definitely fit more in the 9-5. At 150K, I it still has life, but replacement parts and GM crap that is on the 9-5 is starting to drive me up a wall. (like the fuel pump, frame bushings, climate control knobs wearing off, etc).

I could go for a TourX, but Buick decided NOT to offer a manual transmission and NOT to offer a diesel. Even with some of the shortcomings, I would buy one today if it had ONE of those two features. Do they not understand the enthusiast and why they would want this? I don't want "lane assist" or "blind spot monitoring". Please take that crap off the car and give me something fun...

Given all that, I can't see any better alternatives. The Subarus are not my style. I would never buy a Caddy...so my options are limited.

On top of this, it looks like GM may kill the TourX in the next year or two.

Sigh....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Manuals and Diesels are disappearing. The VW TDI's that were bought back have been fixed and sent to dealers to sell. This may be your last shot to find a Diesel wagon w/manual. Comes with a decent warranty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manuals and Diesels are disappearing. The VW TDI's that were bought back have been fixed and sent to dealers to sell. This may be your last shot to find a Diesel wagon w/manual. Comes with a decent warranty.
Or maybe a low mileage 9-5 manual (if one exists).

Or just move to Europe.

At least the automakers could make a manual an option. You might be right and the VW's are the last shot...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Or maybe a low mileage 9-5 manual (if one exists).

Or just move to Europe.

At least the automakers could make a manual an option. You might be right and the VW's are the last shot...

I like that TourX also, hard to believe that they have a proper Euro sport wagon without the correct transmission.

A low mileage 9-5? That's going to be a hard find, but possible.

Didn't they make a Chevy Cruze hatchback with diesel and manual for 2017? That may be a compromise.

Best of luck in finding something.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
The Opel is better looking. I am on the hunt for a tourX but the stupid rust catching vinyl fender spats drive me nuts. There is an Opel in Michigan I have a picture of it, and it was not on manufacturers plates so it presumably could be a saleable car. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I have a manual close ratio car to drive, so I could care less if my "Buick" was auto, but I would debadge and dechrome the POS...and remove the vinyl wheel arches which they way they did it wont be cheap

fact is GM don't care much, they are going out of business selling cars here n North America,so it wont be long. About as long as it takes for gas prices to go nuts, truck sales to plummet, and the bets on EV and Autonomy fail miserably...as for betting on China, which GM have done? They dropped from 5% to 3% of the market there, so that may not be such a hot management bet after all.

Toyota? Vdub? whole other story. Huge in China, they figured it out. I would buy a diesel Vdub no problem but I want power and a wagon...not some dinky car I have to row gears with like a madman to get up to 60 miles an hour, drafting semis and greyhound busses on the interstate to keep up...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Opel is better looking. I am on the hunt for a tourX but the stupid rust catching vinyl fender spats drive me nuts. There is an Opel in Michigan I have a picture of it, and it was not on manufacturers plates so it presumably could be a saleable car. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I have a manual close ratio car to drive, so I could care less if my "Buick" was auto, but I would debadge and dechrome the POS...and remove the vinyl wheel arches which they way they did it wont be cheap

fact is GM don't care much, they are going out of business selling cars here n North America,so it wont be long. About as long as it takes for gas prices to go nuts, truck sales to plummet, and the bets on EV and Autonomy fail miserably...as for betting on China, which GM have done? They dropped from 5% to 3% of the market there, so that may not be such a hot management bet after all.

Toyota? Vdub? whole other story. Huge in China, they figured it out. I would buy a diesel Vdub no problem but I want power and a wagon...not some dinky car I have to row gears with like a madman to get up to 60 miles an hour, drafting semis and greyhound busses on the interstate to keep up...

Actually, what I really want is a 2011/12 Saab 9-5 Sport Combi...with a manual.

https://saabfans.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/2011-saab-9-5-wagon-coming/

If Buick would import the Opel Sports Tourer with a manual option, I would be a Buick buyer for life...

https://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11905

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I like that TourX also, hard to believe that they have a proper Euro sport wagon without the correct transmission.

A low mileage 9-5? That's going to be a hard find, but possible.

Didn't they make a Chevy Cruze hatchback with diesel and manual for 2017? That may be a compromise.

Best of luck in finding something.

I like the Cruze manual diesel...hard to believe that GM actually built that car. But limited towing and not enough interior cargo space for me.

It is hard to believe that the TourX was not rated to tow initially. Now it is rated at 1K lbs, but there is no factory option. Doesn't GM know why Subaru is so successful? It isn't just the "wagon" option.

I just put new plugs and a DIC on my AERO. Still to come are the front wheel bearings and struts. So, I guess I found something for another year or two...

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Actually, what I really want is a 2011/12 Saab 9-5 Sport Combi...with a manual.

https://saabfans.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/2011-saab-9-5-wagon-coming/

2012 Saab 9-5 SportCombi (2011 Geneva Auto Show) - YouTube

If Buick would import the Opel Sports Tourer with a manual option, I would be a Buick buyer for life...

https://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11905
you talk about having an issue getting parts. get that model of wagon and you will have some huge issues for sure.

weird that you slammed GM above but you want this "all" GM car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you talk about having an issue getting parts. get that model of wagon and you will have some huge issues for sure.

weird that you slammed GM above but you want this "all" GM car.

Did you not see ..."If Buick would import the Opel Sports Tourer with a manual option, I would be a Buick buyer for life..."

The fuel pump / gauge in my 2007 AERO was GM's idea / part and that is very fresh in my mind. And the HVAC knobs which are wearing off are GMs. And the navigation system... and so on.

I have no critical issues with GM and I am not a SAAB before GM purist; but they do sometimes make bad decisions because they are a corporate behemoth. I do like the sport wagon and I mourn the fact that Europe can have them, but the US can't.

That is all. I do think the 2012 9-5 Sportcombi is still a fresh design today.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Did you not see ..."If Buick would import the Opel Sports Tourer with a manual option, I would be a Buick buyer for life..."

The fuel pump / gauge in my 2007 AERO was GM's idea / part and that is very fresh in my mind. And the HVAC knobs which are wearing off are GMs. And the navigation system... and so on.

I have no critical issues with GM and I am not a SAAB before GM purist; but they do sometimes make bad decisions because they are a corporate behemoth. I do like the sport wagon and I mourn the fact that Europe can have them, but the US can't.

That is all. I do think the 2012 9-5 Sportcombi is still a fresh design today.
Yes and I saw this
At 150K, I it still has life, but replacement parts and GM crap that is on the 9-5 is starting to drive me up a wall. (like the fuel pump, frame bushings, climate control knobs wearing off, etc).

Personally if the Buick wasn't so narrow like the 9-3's and it had a better quality of seats I would get one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would not be surprised - after all, the 9-5 NG was just a Buick Lacrosse... True story - as soon as I found out that my 2010 "Saab" 9-5 was a Buick, I got it sold... GM destroyed Saab.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would not be surprised - after all, the 9-5 NG was just a Buick Lacrosse... True story - as soon as I found out that my 2010 "Saab" 9-5 was a Buick, I got it sold... GM destroyed Saab.
I'm not sure how much GM shares parts on this one, but have read this is a German engineered Opel.

They've got a '18 at the dealer near me heavily discounted, I've got a diesel with a manual. I get 48 mpg, but pay $1/gal more than gas so it's a wash. I'm getting older, could do without the manual especially when stuck in traffic. If I could afford it, I'd have a look.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure how much GM shares parts on this one, but have read this is a German engineered Opel.

They've got a '18 at the dealer near me heavily discounted, I've got a diesel with a manual. I get 48 mpg, but pay $1/gal more than gas so it's a wash. I'm getting older, could do without the manual especially when stuck in traffic. If I could afford it, I'd have a look.
Do you have a VW Golf wagon?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
GM , as pathetic their marketing is, and as delusional their management, are still making the best cars they have ever made. The engineering is very good. Shortcomings are common to all manufacturers, but this mantra that "SAAB was great but GM screwed it up" is old. I was at SAAB in Sweden in 1979 when they were leaders in the industry with turbo charging, modular manufacturing execution, and the best handling FWD cars ever...

those days are long gone, and my 2007 9-5, aside from the ridiculous engine idle vibration ( that I think I can cure when it gets warmer) its a darn fine car. No reason to think the TourX would not be very good ( vinyl and chrome aside) and the whole manual/auto issue is a moot point these days....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are some smoking hot deals on the TourX right now. I am just not ready and hope they makes some changes for 2020.

My 9-5 running well, rides like it is on rails and has all the room I need. A couple of cosmetic fixes and I am good to go for another couple of years.

Maybe I will at least drive the Buick...

·
Registered
147 Posts
GM , as pathetic their marketing is, and as delusional their management, are still making the best cars they have ever made. The engineering is very good. Shortcomings are common to all manufacturers, but this mantra that "SAAB was great but GM screwed it up" is old. I was at SAAB in Sweden in 1979 when they were leaders in the industry with turbo charging, modular manufacturing execution, and the best handling FWD cars ever...

those days are long gone, and my 2007 9-5, aside from the ridiculous engine idle vibration ( that I think I can cure when it gets warmer) its a darn fine car. No reason to think the TourX would not be very good ( vinyl and chrome aside) and the whole manual/auto issue is a moot point these days....

Well Said! I'll just say x2.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts