SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't matter whether from a stop or all the way up to 80mph and beyond

Unless I push the throttle it doesn't buck, I can gently accelerate to 70+.

I first thought the engine is clearing out any carbon build up, but it should be gone by now

The CEL will flicker, but when trying to push it, or attempting to blow it out, it stays on for several start ups, but so far it goes away

DIC is 2-3 years old, a possibility, but any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
A flashing check engine light is the code for a misfire that's bad enough to damage your catalytic converter. It can be the DIC, but can be a couple of other things. My car did that not long ago, and cleaning the MAF sensor and replacing the spark plugs did the trick.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Plugs don't have many miles on them. Yeah was thinking to clean the MAF which is the easiest and simplest.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changing the DIC is easier and the more likely culprit by far, disturbing the MAF might just complicate things.
?

I have cleaned the MAF plenty of times over the10 years of ownership. Replacing the DIC is somewhat tricky. The last time the part that fits over the the plug closest to the wire loom connection did not come off easily (probably didn't use enough electrical grease when I installed it) and tore the shroud. Also, that means buying a new DIC in advance, which may not be necessary, if the MAF is the issue, which I agree may not be

Plugs and DIC changed 10K miles ago , which for me is 2 years

·
Registered
666 Posts
A number of years ago I had to replace a throttle body for that symptom. I don’t remember if I had codes or if I did, what the codes were, but a used throttle body solved it for me. I would try the other things mentioned above first. See if you can borrow a known good DIC

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
?

I have cleaned the MAF plenty of times over the10 years of ownership. Replacing the DIC is somewhat tricky. The last time the part that fits over the the plug closest to the wire loom connection did not come off easily (probably didn't use enough electrical grease when I installed it) and tore the shroud. Also, that means buying a new DIC in advance, which may not be necessary, if the MAF is the issue, which I agree may not be

Plugs and DIC changed 10K miles ago , which for me is 2 years
What kind of DIC was it, SEM/NGK? I have never seen the rubber boot tear, and I've swapped DICs a few times (testing spares from the junkyard).

Bucking is a misfire. A bad MAF won't cause misfire like that. Bad DIC will. (Also bad CPS.)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know but I got it from my Saab trained Indy

I may have figured out the problem. In retrospect, I have had a similar issue in the past

Are you sitting down?

I have a rubber floor mat, which like all of them, protects the carpet, and is where the dirt and gravel collect, so I put a thick fiber floor mat over it, but it slides around and notably, up under the gas peddle. Why that causes bucking, I have no clue, but I pulled it back into place (knowing it won't stay) and acceleration seems fine so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts