SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84' 900 8valve turbo with K-jet developed this problem today. When the engine reaches 2500-3000rpm like when I hold 2nd or 3rd gear, it will will start bucking and jerking quite violently. I was thinking fuel pump but the engine load is quite low when this happens. With lower revs in 2nd or 3rd with a higher engine load, there isn't a problem. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Cheers!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
xww10 said:
My 84' 900 8valve turbo with K-jet developed this problem today. When the engine reaches 2500-3000rpm like when I hold 2nd or 3rd gear, it will will start bucking and jerking quite violently. I was thinking fuel pump but the engine load is quite low when this happens. With lower revs in 2nd or 3rd with a higher engine load, there isn't a problem. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Cheers!
It could be the fuel pump. There is a minimum voltage test. Check the fuel pickup screen attached to the end of the fuel pump it often is full of junk. My '78 99t w/ k-jet did the same thing. In my case it was the pickup.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Squaab99t but I'm not really sure how to check the pickup screen. I know the fuel pump is under a metal cover but am not sure how I should go about it. Can u give me some instructions please? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
xww10 said:
Thanks, Squaab99t but I'm not really sure how to check the pickup screen. I know the fuel pump is under a metal cover but am not sure how I should go about it. Can u give me some instructions please? Thanks again.
Well I started writing but this might make more sense.
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/99t

First 3 pixs of the album. It get the cover off pull with your fingers toward you and up. min voltage is 11.5 with the pump running.

·
Registered
424 Posts
my 16 valve turbo did the same thing, and it turned out to be a ripped intercooler piping collar--in my case the one from the turbo output to the first long pipe that runs across the backside of the radiator.

Might check for that. It was not obvious until I wiggled the pipe back and forth.

Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Squaab99t,

Checked my fuel pump voltage this morning before work (will have to wait till I get back to check the strainer coz I need saab to get me to work). It's a healthy 13.37V. Can't wait to see what the pickup screen looks like.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Srry to hijack, but I was going to make an almost identical post.

However, my car is an 85spg... So 16v. Car starts missing/bucking right when boost should come on strong. Seems like a vaccum leak, but I havent found anything obviously loose or hooked up wrong. The car had been running great the past while untill this. The oil is clean, so I dont think its head gasket. I can hear the turbo spool up and the by pass valve blow off when shifting.. Im totally lost on what to check next. So, Im also interested to hear what people think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
xww10 said:
Squaab99t,

Checked my fuel pump voltage this morning before work (will have to wait till I get back to check the strainer coz I need saab to get me to work). It's a healthy 13.37V. Can't wait to see what the pickup screen looks like.
Excellent... Those manuals are priceless when it comes to proceedures. The Hayes ones are pretty good for the price...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update everyone. My problem has not come back since! I'm not sure but its probably a bad batch of fuel (I did fill up not at my usual place), so fingers crossed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts