SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna bubba-dize me an arm rest with 6" diameter pool noodle (and maybe old sleeve or leg from sweat-shirt or pants....for style), and some quick-tie plastic thingys. I'm gonna just tie to little flip up cover that doesn't really do much, except cover a drink holder I can't use.

Any DURABLE (steel) framed passenger visor replacement? Plastic frame busted, and I tend to use passenger visor a lot, so I don't see point in buying repeated aged plastic that gonna also break under use.

Also, I'm just starting to get dreaded headliner separation, around the visors mostly. I'm not gonna go for multi-$100 fix, and ain't gonna do "good job" myself, way too many little cutouts etc. SO....I'm gonna TRY squirting in some glue and pressing it and hoping for the best. "They" tell me it wont work, but I figure I got nothing to lose. Will post results. Any tips? I guess the glue will need to get past the crumbling foam and bite into the structural fiberglass matte. I'm thinking either spray contact or Guerrilla Glue and water, and press with pool noodle or pillow foam and a stick, with wax paper.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
Also, I'm just starting to get dreaded headliner separation, around the visors mostly. I'm not gonna go for multi-$100 fix, and ain't gonna do "good job" myself, way too many little cutouts etc. SO....I'm gonna TRY squirting in some glue and pressing it and hoping for the best. "They" tell me it wont work, but I figure I got nothing to lose. Will post results. Any tips? I guess the glue will need to get past the crumbling foam and bite into the structural fiberglass matte. I'm thinking either spray contact or Guerrilla Glue and water, and press with pool noodle or pillow foam and a stick, with wax paper.

Won't work.

Won't work even if you try it out of the car where you can properly get at it.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Interested in seeing your armrest. I don’t know of a better sun visor though.

The headliner thing won’t work. You are better off just pulling all the fabric off and cleaning the residue. It’s going to make a huge mess though.

I removed my headliner, and had a shop do it for me. Saved me a ton of cash by doing the manual work myself, and letting them do the rest.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
The headliner thing won’t work. You are better off just pulling all the fabric off and cleaning the residue. It’s going to make a huge mess though.

I removed my headliner, and had a shop do it for me. Saved me a ton of cash by doing the manual work myself, and letting them do the rest.

I found removing the headliner (and then replacing it) to be the complicated part. Scraping all the crumbly foam off was grunt work.

Actually putting in the replacement headliner cloth/foam was the relatively easy part. I did have someone helping me. The results looked almost like new. However, no idea how long it will last, as I did this last October-ish and the car only ran until late January.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
The headliner in my mom's 1997 Pontiac starting falling apart, and just to keep it from blocking half the rear window, I did a pretty ghetto fix that worked fine, but didn't look all that great. I pulled the fabric down as far as I could, sprayed a ton of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive on the foam, and stuck the fabric back onto it. It was still holding on a couple of years later, despite people saying that type of fix can't be done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The headliner in my mom's 1997 Pontiac starting falling apart, and just to keep it from blocking half the rear window, I did a pretty ghetto fix that worked fine, but didn't look all that great. I pulled the fabric down as far as I could, sprayed a ton of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive on the foam, and stuck the fabric back onto it. It was still holding on a couple of years later, despite people saying that type of fix can't be done.

exactly, I guess the naysayers must care about looks.:roll: Or they just never used 3M Super.

IIRC the 3M is SUPPOSED to be used as "contact" where you "spray both surfaces, like both dry till 'tacky', THEN press firmly together".

A layer of old crumbly non-foam might kill that, so must soak foam and make it part of the glue connection.

I might use the new lame and weak "liquid nails" that is like non-fat sour cream, since it would match color. Spread some and squish it around under the fabric.

Yeah, I've done the thing were you just pull it all down and rub and vac off the old foam. Nice project to make a nice mess on a weekend.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
I guess the naysayers must care about looks.
Well, you know, if you don't care how it looks, just tear all the fabric off the headliner. Then spray on some of that old school popcorn ceiling paint.

Then hang a mini disco ball from the dome light and put chartreuse and magenta shag carpet in it. Retro seventies discomobile FTW.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
exactly, I guess the naysayers must care about looks.:roll: Or they just never used 3M Super.

I soaked the "spare" headliner with contact cement, and the fabric still didn't hold.

A roll of correct fabric cost me something like $70 Canadian; it would be cheaper in the US. The appearance was almost indistinguishable from factory. It was nice.

The one thing I'd say is that the special 3M headliner adhesive didn't seem nearly as effective as $20 per can should make it.

All in all, if the headliner is out of the car, doing the job right is the best investment of time and money. If it stays in the car, rip the fabric off and spray it with bedliner or whatever.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
My 900's headliner is currently sans fabric, after so much of it came unglued from the foam that it reminded me of an old tufted sofa. The only things holding it up were the dome lights, grab handles, and sun visors. I got so sick of it I ripped all of the fabric off one day, so now I deal with the occasional sprinkle of orange foam on the seats and center console. I've been told that my Father's Day present this year will be getting it reupholstered. I just need to take it out of the car to make sure that nothing's leaking from the roof, which I suspect it is.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
I like to use a vacuum with one of those bristle brush attachments, if after you have scrubbed/vacuumed the foam any is left then it is coming off any time soon.

Then just use some spray adhesive and the fabric will stick to the headliner, it wont look as pretty missing the foam but it will stick and look better than hanging fabric.

If you decided to pull the headliner and replace it then in the US Joanne's stocks the material, after a coupon I think you can get the 2 yards you need for about $15. Their tan is a little darker than stock, but doesn't look out of place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts