SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Dach said:
but if the stuttering with engine shaking and misfiring, I would say its the coil pack.
Check under the engine shroud to see if any of that "British weather" soaked the area around your plugs or coil packs. We had someone wash his engine and experience poor driveability due to standing water in these areas.

Dark at 3:30:eek: I start getting the doldrums when it happens at 5:30!

·
Registered
943 Posts
My car is an oddity here, its manufactured in 2003, but with a 2004 VIN code and specs. In any case, my coil pack had to be replaced early this year after running about 100k km. The symptoms are similar to what you've described.

I believe that they have degraded over time and when one of the coils degraded just below the required performance of the tuned software, the engine shake, rattle and roll appeared. Once they were changed out, its like I had a new engine. much smoother, slightly more powerful pull (butt dyno this one).

Give it time and take it step by step. I would always recommend the cheapest and simplest solution as the first step, before progressing onwards to something as expensive as replacing a coil pack. depending on the $ and time of course.

All the best to your trouble shooting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Cheers Dach, it means a lot to be able to pull on peoples help and experiences, most appreciated !

I will try the plugs when they arrive and change the oil, the 'dealer' forgot to do it before delivery so I had him send round the new oil and filter, then I know its been done.

After that, might just order four Coil Packs, its sourcing them thats the issue, I was wondering if the same packs are used in other GM vehicles that use the basic same engine like the VX220/Turbo, Vectra 2.2, Astra 2.2, Omega or are there different grades ?

Does point to Coil packs, and at a similar milage.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am not sure if its the same as the Opels and Vauxhalls, but I'd stick with Saab untill proven that it is.

I sure hope it isn't the coil packs cause they cost a lot more than replacing the plugs or the air piping.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had this problem when I first BSR'd my 93. I bought new plugs and the missfire remained (only happened when underload on overboost). I found a thread on SC about BSR & plug gaps.... I reduced my plug gaps to 0.8mm and all was well.....it costs nothing to try and may fix your problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
AmbiSaab, that sounds like my kind of solution !

I will check the gap when I put the new plugs in, I was kind of under the impression that they were pre-gapped though, does the gap widen over time due to heat and erosion of the electrode ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yes the plugs are pre gapped....it is not recommended that you adjust them ..... I have read posts about this.... all I know is that adjusting the gap to 0.8mm (12 months ago) got rid of the misfire. You really have nothing to lose..... and I suspect it will resolve your issue.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
J4CKO said:
I was wondering if the same packs are used in other GM vehicles that use the basic same engine like the VX220/Turbo, Vectra 2.2, Astra 2.2, Omega or are there different grades ?

Coil packs are different on the Vaux... but you can save a few ££'s by using other parts from the Vauxhall catologue to keep your running costs down. Brake pads and discs from the Vectra/Signum range along with the wheel hubs/bearings...oil filter, stabiliser link rods, bottom wishbone, strut thrust bearing,particle filter and probably a whole host of other items too !! If you ever need to buy anything feel free to PM me .... I have the Vauxhall EPC as well as the Saab EPC ... I always cross reference part numbers before I go and buy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Cheers, it can be a worry running what is a fairly rare and complicated car.

Just waiting for the Plugs to be delivered, hopefully they will be here by the weekend, driving like a saint at the moment and getting 29 mpg which I think is quite good considering its a fairly short journey of seven miles twice a day.

Trouble is, its a bit bumby and perhaps the Aero suspension is a little hard, this also sets off the odd rattle from the trim.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
J4CKO said:
Trouble is, its a bit bumby and perhaps the Aero suspension is a little hard, this also sets off the odd rattle from the trim.
Agreed ! I ended up going with the Koni FSD dampers and the Hirsch springs and got a ride that I am happy with. It's still firm when I throw it around but handles the bumps a lot better in a straight line. The thing I noticed most was that instead of 'bouncing' over cats eyes I now drive over them and can hardly feel them anymore.

As for the rattles.... I concentrate on eliminating them one by one.... my interior is practically rattle free now. Soundproofing is very sparce in the 93 so that will be looked at when the weather gets warmer.... the bumps still seem to resonate through the car..mainly from the boot area !

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ambisaab said:
As for the rattles.... I concentrate on eliminating them one by one.... my interior is practically rattle free now. Soundproofing is very sparce in the 93 so that will be looked at when the weather gets warmer.... the bumps still seem to resonate through the car..mainly from the boot area !
same here...looking into soundproofing to see if I can get some of the road noise down.

The boot soundproofing is a joke. Just try knocking on the top of the boot lid and you'll get what I mean. Sounds like a thin sheet of metal. My sub is creating weird noises in there so I hope to get it fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Finally my plugs arrived, fitted them this morning and the old ones look ok, no fouling, a little sort of brown scorching on the bottom of the ceramic bit.

Now I think it may have at least partially cured the stuttering, my mate came round in his Impreza PPC (260 bhp) and I had a go in that and then took him for a spin in mine, now mine isnt as quick, certainly from a standstill but its not a million miles off and it dint seem to be doing the stuttering, need to do a few more miles to be sure but fingers crossed !

The Impreza, is pretty ugly and has a manky interior but what a characterful and fun fast car, the Saab seems devoid of personality in comparison, from a roll on I might give it a run for its money though.

Cheers for all the info, most appreciated, just hope this cures it so I can enjoy it, might even return it to standard for a bit so I get the full effect.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thats great. just monitor it. it could be that the sparkies gap was just a tad bit too wide. but I am thinking, you need not have to re-gap spark plugs after all that time and money spent by BSR to come up with a stage 1 software to work with what we have.

·
Registered
943 Posts
sorry forgot his was an Aero on plat plugs. I WAS on level 7 colder plugs, they work fine, but just that there's some loss on the lower revs, higher revs seem smoother. Stick to the plats. They work great! and would most likely not cause problems on US cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Can you get different grades of plugs for the Aero, I thought it was just the NGK PFR610 10G (I think, not sure if thats the exact code).

Not sure its 100% sorted but it does seem better by some margin, might whip them out and re-gap if its still a problem.

It amazed me how clean the plug holes were, like new, never seen that before.

Has amyone tried the MAF sensor cleaner as I was going to try that as well, is it just normal solvent cleaner like for electronics, I was thinking that my Pipercross airfilter may have contaminated it a bit ?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was on a set of plugs that was recommended by the tuner who has seen good success with them in Europe. its cheaper and more effective in the higher end. but cause I do more driving in traffic etc etc, I changed them out to the regular ones from Saab.

BUT this is on an Asian car. I wouldn't recommend it for you guys, but if its under warranty, no harm trying ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Still seems to be ok, I get the occasional glitch when its cold but I can use all the performance without it misbehaving which is nice.

Its quick, there was an M3 cab (E46) in front of me, hogging the outside lane on the bypass, long straights with lots of roundabouts to slow down for, he didnt want to move over so gave it some and didnt pull away, he then thinks I wonder why my almighty M3 did not pull away, from the next roundabout I will acelrate a lot harder, still didnt pull away up to about 90 mph (dry, and very clear so as safe as possible), repeats it a couple more times and then turns of, slows down to let me pass so he could check out what seemed to be staying with him so easily, I suspect it would have started pulling away but from 40-100 its in Saab territory !

Have put a small BSR badge under the Aero one now.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts