SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at upgrading a 99 9-5 with a 2.3t auto. The BSR stage 1 ppc unit offered on parts for saabs is what i am considering. Would like to know if anyone has any input on this product. What are the pros and cons? I am not looking to change the exhaust or turbo until I need to. Any input would be helpful, including other products. The BSR ppc for this car shows it will take the car from 170hp and 207 ft/lbs torque to 234 hp and approximately 280 ft/lbs of torque, and the only other part required is a high flow air filter. Feedback please?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
rsallen88 said:
Feedback please?
Buy it :cheesy:

The stage one upgrade is the most impressive leap, the PPC is a fantastic innovative way of tuning the car and keeping your hands clean! ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Make sure your tranny is in good condition otherwise it'll expire in a shower of chogs and springs. ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Make sure your tranny is in good condition otherwise it'll expire in a shower of chogs and springs. ;)
Why do you say that Raven? :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
ricot83 said:
my auto tranny is holding up just fine to 220 wheel torque and 220whp :roll:
Thats why I asked, my auto is fine too with the Stage 4+ upgrade :roll:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Why do you say that Raven? :confused:
I'm just making sure he knows that saab limited the output of the 9-5 aero when it was bolted to the 4-speed auto. I'm not saying it'll be a problem just that the weakness is there. You can't deny the gearbox isn't the Achilles' heel of these cars, auto and manuals. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the fluid before uprating the power that much.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Raven,

I beilive he has the 2.3t 170BHP, doing the PPC upgrade will not get him near Aero spec anyway.:confused: , well not to the new 250 one.

Feedback on the PPC.

As Chris and others have stated go for it. I have had it on my car (2.0t and a manual) for over 3500 miles, no problems and the car feels so much better for it. You will enjoy it;)

It also dead easy to install, and de install if you need to.

Puli

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
StX221 said:
So can a friend and i with the same model, year and everything both use the ppc upgrade??

Nick
Nope its programmed to the car when it arrives ;)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
StX221 said:
So can a friend and i with the same model, year and everything both use the ppc upgrade??

Nick
No, you have to provide your ECU number and its coded to work only with that particular ECU. They would'nt sell very many otherwise would they? :cheesy:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Damm you beat me to it.:cry:

As Chris has said, You will be ask for your VIN number and the PPC is then mated to that Car.

Puli

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Puli said:
Damm you beat me to it.:cry:
Thats what the wife says ;oops: ;oops: ;oops:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Puli said:
I beilive he has the 2.3t 170BHP, doing the PPC upgrade will not get him near Aero spec anyway.:confused: , well not to the new 250 one.
HP has nothing to do with it, it's torque that you should be worried about. He said it would give him 280 lb/ft........wait that can't be right.......that's more than my car. :( Anyway, just know that you're uping the torque by 35% on a car with a weakish gearbox. Just keep an eye on it, don't neglect fluid changes and everything should be fine. ;)

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I'm just making sure he knows that saab limited the output of the 9-5 aero when it was bolted to the 4-speed auto. I'm not saying it'll be a problem just that the weakness is there. You can't deny the gearbox isn't the Achilles' heel of these cars, auto and manuals. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the fluid before uprating the power that much.
The BSR PPC's do not remove the torque limiter, so the extra wear on the transmission should be minimal..

(of course, mine blew up but thats another story...)

Oh and it's not only the auto thats limited. Our Aero 5spds are torque limited in first and second gears as well...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Mattlach said:
The BSR PPC's do not remove the torque limiter, so the extra wear on the transmission should be minimal..

(of course, mine blew up but thats another story...)

Oh and it's not only the auto thats limited. Our Aero 5spds are torque limited in first and second gears as well...
Manual trans cars are only limited in first gear. Second gear gets all the juice and also provides the most entertainment!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Am I reading that first post correctly? A 64 HP increase with the ppc and the only HW change is a new filter? I am astounded by that number so I must be misssing something here...help me out and tell me why I spent all that money on HW for my Stage 4...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Or you could do Nordic stage 1 and get a 55hp increase and not have to do any other modifications at all. That would also put you at 243ft.lb of torque. I'm not sure how the torque compares because the BSR stuff is in Nm.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts