SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking through the BSR PPC Stage 1 Clutch slip Thread and notice people having different results with their PPC's. To help with the information gathering, I decided to start this thread and take a survey....

Please answer the following ?s bellow

1. Year / Model / Tranny (Example: 04/Arc/Auto btw mine's a 06/2.0T/5Speed, loving it! :D )
2. Version of PPC (Stage 1,2,3,etc)
3. ECU Flash version (date)
4. What mileage you put the PPC on.
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage
6. What modification you have? (JR Air Filter, new clutch, CAI, etc)
7. Description of clutch slippage, if any (frequency, what gear, what RPM's, type of driving, etc.)

I mainly wanted to start this thread because I'm debating whether or not it is worth the troubles in getting a PPC.

Please just fill this thread with Survey info only

Post response here > Clutch Slip - BSR ? Thread

Thanks and I hope this helps with the Troubleshooting.

Use this to copy and paste into your thread.

1. Year / Model / Tranny
2. Version of PPC
3. ECU Flash version
4. What mileage you put the PPC on.
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage
6. What modification you have?
7. Description of clutch slippage, if any

·
Super Moderator
18,817 Posts
1. Year / Model 2003 Linear
2. Version of PPC Stage 1
3. ECU Flash version ?
4. What mileage you put the PPC on 5-6k miles
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage See below
6. What modification you have? JR Air Filter
7. Description of clutch slippage, if any Mine's an auto, but the car won't shift out of 1st or second under tire slippage. Kind of annoying. :confused:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
YellowMenace,

Just a suggestion, i think you should add on the gearbox (auto, 5spd, 6spd)
1. Year / Model 2003 Vector.
3. ECU Flash version ?4. What mileage you put the PPC on 10-12K.
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage 18-20K (on and off)
6. What modification you have? JR Air Filter
7. Description of clutch slippage: Mostly happens in cold weather. Started off with 2nd and 3rd gear. Now its 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th. <-- All are based on full throttle only!

Mine is a 6spd

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
NO Problem for me BSR Stage 1, excellent

1. Year / Model 2003 Vector.Europe 175hp
3. ECU Flash version ?
4. What mileage you put the PPC on 15,000 miles.
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage N/A
6. What modification you have? JR Air Filter and threw it out
7. Description of clutch slippage: NONE

·
Registered
60 Posts
1. Year / Model 2005 Aero.
2. Version of PPC No PPC yet (But thinking stage3 soon)
3. ECU Flash version ?
4. What mileage you put the PPC on not yet
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage 9000 miles(without PPC)
6. What modification you have? BSR opti flow kit
7. Description of clutch slippage: İn the 2nd gear sometimesit slips a little. My car is nearly at 12000 miles and it sliped only two times.

I think it would be good for writing the geasrbox.
Mine is 5 Speed manual.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
1. Year / Model / Tranny: 2003 Arc Auto 5sp
2. Version of PPC: Stage 3
3. ECU Flash version: Not Known
4. What mileage you put the PPC on.: Stage 1 30,000 Stage 3: 40,000
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage: 42000
6. What modification you have? BSR Stage 3 Only
7. Description of clutch slippage, if any: Torque converter lets loose, albeit infrequently, on 2-3 upshift.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1. Year / Model / Tranny2004/Aero/6spd Man
3. ECU Flash version
4. What mileage you put the PPC on. 14k-15k
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage 15k-24k
6. What modification you have? Would add more if I can cure the clutch prob

7. Description of clutch slippage, if any mostly started in 3rd gear 3-4k revs but now slips in all gears apart from 1st when throttling hard. Weather makes no difference.

It's doing my head in!! :x

·
Registered
223 Posts
1. Year / Model / Tranny 2004 Arc convertible 5 speed manual
2. Version of PPC stage I
3. ECU Flash version
4. What mileage you put the PPC on. 22,000
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage no slippage
6. What modification you have?
7. Description of clutch slippage, if any

·
Registered
430 Posts
1. Year / Model / Tranny:2003/Aero/6sp manual
2. Version of PPC:stage 1
3. ECU Flash version
4. What mileage you put the PPC on.:22000 kms(now 33000kms)
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage:Never
6. What modification you have?:JR air filter
7. Description of clutch slippage, if any:--------

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
1. Year / Model 2004 Aero 5spd Manual
2. Version of PPC Stage 1 (prep'd for stage 3 including CAI & 3" DP)
3. ECU Flash version haven't a clue
4. What mileage you put the PPC on 29,000 (ish)
5. What mileage you experienced clutch slippage 38,490
6. What modification you have? QuikShift Taipan II CAI, EBC grooved/dimpled discs with full ceramic pads, 3" down pipe & Maganaflow 14816 backbox.
7. Description of clutch slippage: Nailing it in third, the revs spike instantly but the speed barely increases. It's now almost impossible to accelerate past 90.

My mechanic is trying to source a 4/6 paddle sachs/spec clutch but it seems they only make them for 6spd boxes.

I'm pretty pi$$ed at the fact you have to replace the flywheel at the same time as they're not cheap.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
And I'll just update by saying that for those who know how to drive ... they have never had any problem with a BSR upgrade from PFS ...

Now if somone wants to burn out their clutch :roll: they can do it on a standard car just flooring it like a jackass at every green light .:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
And I'll just update by saying that for those who know how to drive ... they have never had any problem with a BSR upgrade from PFS ...
Or more accurately... the stock SAAB clutch cannot cope with the extra torque over a long period of time, regardless of how you drive.

40,000 brisk miles with a stock setup is hard on the clutch... the BSR kit can only shorten its life.

·
Registered
146 Posts
DavidMorgan said:

Now if somone wants to burn out their clutch :roll: they can do it on a standard car just flooring it like a jackass at every green light .:cheesy:
Wrong my friend....the BSR upgrade OVER powers the clutch and subsequently destroys the flywheel....it's a shame because I loved my BSR power!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
tukan said:
Wrong my friend....the BSR upgrade OVER powers the clutch and subsequently destroys the flywheel....it's a shame because I loved my BSR power!!
Intersting. So it's actually the flywheel that's getting damaged?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Vision i.T Services said:
I can't speak for Tukan, but I can confirm that my flywheel was also knackered beyond repair.
So in addition to an upgraded clutch (stg 2 or 3) you need an upgraded flywhell? Damn. Sounds like the BSR is $800 + a clutch + a flywheel = How much would you say...Ballpark figure?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can't speak for Tukan, but I can confirm that my flywheel was also knackered beyond repair.
Yes that is the real issue here. The dual mass flywheel gets torque out of compliance. Many of the BSR owners will eventually hear a chatter when putting the clutch in. The clutch itself is not really badly damages in these cases.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm paying just shy of £500.

You don't "need" an uprated clutch/flywheel... you just need to bear in mind that stock version won't last half as long as they should. I have a stage 3 kit waiting to go on, so it's awful having to wait for a clutch/flywheel before I can experience the next level.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm paying just shy of £500.

You don't "need" an uprated clutch/flywheel... you just need to bear in mind that stock version won't last half as long as they should. I have a stage 3 kit waiting to go on, so it's awful having to wait for a clutch/flywheel before I can experience the next level.
Well if you want to drive the car for any decent amount of time and avoid the annoying slippage you do. 10,000 KM at most and you will start to get slippage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
19 Participants
toplessFC3Sman
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing