SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking the shadows for a while on the boards here doing my best to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I'd like to thank everyone on the baord for giving me the courage to go ahead and do some work on my 9-5. This weekend I put in a bsr boost gauge, which was pretty painless. I went for the 2.2 bar one, which as I read after I ordered it is way to high a range, but I like it none-the-less. I think the most I've boosted is .7. The gauge is very responsive and I like it a lot more than the stock gauge that I've seen in loaners. Here's a pic at night, where I think it looks the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Looks awesome. Its kindof in contrast with the green, but that makes it standout more. Was it pricey? I'd love to get one of those...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Excellent stuff, and welcome to Saab Central!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2000, which doesn't have a stock gauge. I assume as long as you just T off of the line the stock gauge will work as well.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
No Bob, they work as well as the dash computer controlled one. My one is tee'ed into a vacuum pipe and only has an electrical connection for illumination. :cool:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Great stuff...
I want to install one too but am afraid of the actual procedure...I dont want to mess anything up! I have seen several instructions on how to do this but then I find a hard time picking an acceptable gauge and pod :evil:

As soon as I remove the airbox and replace the filter with a K&N (hopefully next week :cheesy: ) I will look into this mod...

LOOKS GREAT! :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
looking good demps. as kermit stated the stock gauge is controlled by the ecu and does not correspond to actual boost pressures. you can control the needle with a tech II. i have mine set to go 3/4 into the red, just like the old cars so when i look at the needle i feel excited once again. kind of disheartening to mod the crap out of my car and have the needle read as if it were stock, hence the adjustment. your install looks clean....might be time for a real live boost gauge install. nice work.

dave

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

That looks like a perfect place for one of these...with newer and nicer gauges of course. I love how they tilt towards the driver as well.

It will fit in a DIN slot....Kermit, can you confirm if the cubby slot size is 1 DIN just like the bottom where the Alpine sits?

wideband A/F, oil pressure and boost would be my 3 choices. I bet cracked pistons have just as much to do with low oil pressure and not enough squirty cooling on the pistons as they do with a/f ratio. Weak oil pumps are a known problem in 9-5's.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
serencavalier said:
anybody willing to post a video of their gauge in action? :cheesy:
Anybody willing to crash their car whilst trying to take a video of the boost gauge? :cheesy: Please get a friend to do it, its too bloody dangerous, i almost stacked the car getting a photo of the gauge working. :eek:

Max, i'll get back to you on the cubby hole size.

G

·
Xaam, I am hopping to do the same as the pic. I spoke to an audio chappy the other day. He feels that it would be possible using 2 single din cages rather than a double conversion. I remember reading a thread on here about someone who changed from the original and he used two singles, for 2 pieces of audio equipment :D

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
The cubby hole is 195mm x 60mm. Using 52mm gauges you will be able to get 3 gauges in the space, but it will be a tight fit... the 52mm gauge has a bezel on the outside making it 55-56 mm so there will be 2mm clearance either side. :cool:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Finn, I have not yet sorted out exactly how to implement an aftermarket stereo short of rewiring all of the speakers and putting another amp in the trunk which would be a huge...female dog. I don't even know if the mounting kit will work with the HK stereo so I might just have to go from scratch anyway.

Kermit...I think if you pop the cubby thing out, the panel will just snap into the opening in it's place. It might look cleaner though if the rounded gray edges of the cubby were retained and the gauges were mounted in the cubby....integrates with the dash materials better. Some sort of face would have to be fabricated but that shouldnt be too hard.

What's everyone's gauge choices?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You are going to get responses from mostly 4cyl guys. The V6 is setup completely differently. I think the V6 boosts to a static pressure...like 8psi or something? It's not going to boost as high as the 4cyl engines.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts