SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Needless to say, I am exhausted but extremely happy after a long day and my C900 is home safe and sound. For those of you that didnt read my last post, I purchased a 1987 SAAB 900 that Sat at an auction for $200. I was away all week for business in Montreal and couldnt bring her home before today.

She has 240,000 kms on the clock, sunroof, 5 spd, 8V, NA, and I am quite happy with my purchase. I put 250 kms on here today getting her home, running errands and getthing things fixed during the day. SHe runs get, shifts ok, 3rd is a little rough getting into, but all and all, she runs damn good for a 21 year old car.

The locksmith was successful in getting the broken key (the only key) out of the ignition and making me another copy...$40 later. Cant beat it! All the doors lock and unlock now. Filled up the fluids but couldnt get as much done as I wanted to, due to the fact we are under a snowstorm warning here and its freaking COLD!!!

My girlfriend has already said "are you going to spend the entire day with that car?" Yes dear, I am. Make sure theres something warm on the table for dinner its f^cking cold outside! j/K!!

One problem I had on the way home was my muffer pipe came loose from the Cat converter. LUCKY, I had my loyal dog Lexi with me and she offered the use of her leash to hold up the peices until I get her into a muffler shop to get the clamp replaced. Im going to drive it with the leash on, Im crazy like that. I will have to drive to the dog store tomorrow to pick up a nice new leash! I am hoping thats all it takes....

All and all, I have about $300 into her and just need to pass the mechanical inspection now. Wish us luck, we may need it!

My 06 9-3 hasnt had any attention since me return from Montreal. I will have to take her out for a run once the weather clears up!

I will take some more pics once it warms up a bit to wash her.

Drew

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Sounds like quite an adventure! Look forward to seeing pics of your new acquisition.

Craig.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I never start a trip like that (picking up a used car) without tools, bailing wire, electrical tape... and that's when the weather's nice! :cheesy:
Glad you made it and hope your luck continues!

I thought by '87 they were all 16v?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did have tools, but working under a car with no jack or ramps in -20 with no blanket for underneath isnt easy! The leash was the best solution for what I had as well. I had lots of tools, but messing with a rusted clamp in -20 is much harder than you would think, your hands just dont work!

THe ride home was still great, and a great start to the 900 experience! Thanks for the messages everyone.

D

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For those interested...

Well I had my 900 inspected today for the insurance inspection. Both the mechanic and myself were floored to find out all she needed was a small $80 repair to the exhaust system. SHe needed NOTHING ELSE!! Remember, I paid $200 for her at an auction a few weeks ago and now have about $500 invested all in plus many many many hours of my time. My work has taken a back seat as well as spending time with my girlfriend, but its all been worth it!

I cant believe it, but I think I got a good one. I still have a lot of work to do on her, but have driven about 500kms with it so far with no MAJOR problems.

I will be around lots in the next few weeks looking for some assistance along the way.

Another c900 saved from the wreckers....

Drew

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
The only thing that can kill an old 8v is rust. They just run forever. Sounds like you got the steal of the year so far.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jetman - she does have some rust, especially around the door handles and one spot on the roof. I am still keeping my eyes open for a nice SPG!!! But this car has so much character, its real fun to drive. I havent driven my 06 9-3 for atleast a week!!

I went to university in Guelph. What a great city for students and young people. I dont remember seeing a lot of SAABS when I was studying there, couldnt get my eyes off all the women...

THanks for the post!

D

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Funny - My first (and only) Saab was an '85 8V 900 - and my next one (when I come around to my senses and buy one again) will be an 8V as well. Oh yeah, my kids 16V is a nice car - but you gotta rev the wee-wee out of it to get off the line - and I like TORQUE!

Sounds like you got yourself a great car - as for mine - I heard from her new (as of last, what, August?) owner - she's still goin' strong - touched 290,000 miles -

Peace

Steve

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
Funny - My first (and only) Saab was an '85 8V 900 - and my next one (when I come around to my senses and buy one again) will be an 8V as well. Oh yeah, my kids 16V is a nice car - but you gotta rev the wee-wee out of it to get off the line - and I like TORQUE!

Sounds like you got yourself a great car - as for mine - I heard from her new (as of last, what, August?) owner - she's still goin' strong - touched 290,000 miles -

Peace

Steve
So,how are you doing the daily commute these days?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts