SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a clutch replacement on a 2000 9-3 with 245,000 miles, and the furthest rear drivers side bolt that anchors the subframe to the unibody broke the weldnut up in the frame. It is fully captive in the frame.

I was able to use one of those vibrating saws with a carbide blade to cut off the now spinning bolt, and remove the subframe. It will probably take two blades, and if you keep the cool and lubricated with WD40 they will cut faster and last longer. I used a wedge shaped chisel to open up the gap from time to time when I let the blade cool. Maybe 20 minutes, annoying but done is done.

Now I have to recover the whole mess. I can cut out the subframe, and weld in a plate with a new captive nut. Or I could make the hole a little bigger, and put a bolt in there and weld it in, and make it a stud instead of a bolt.

Too late to look tonight, but it may also be possible to get in there from inside the car and cut through the floor. I'll look at that as well. If I can get to it easily, that would be an easy way to put a bolt through there.

245,000 miles on the car, so it's OK to play fast and loose at this point. I can't imagine I'll need to pull that subframe again very often (new suspension and steering components put in at 200,000 miles).

Anyway, I'll let people know what I do and how it works.

Any suggestions on what to do before welding to the chassis in order to avoid frying the any computers?

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Take a long screwdriver, stick it in the now nutless hole and give it a punch, peal back the carpet and insulation in the foot well, find the mark and cut/drill a hole and then stick a nut down there and use a socket to hold it, feel free to weld it if you want.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks! I'll add to that thread so as not to fragment knowledge and make it easier for the next guy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts