SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'97 9000 5 speed - Has worked fine for several years, kids car so I wasn't driving it recently, "won't go into reverse". Dad to the rescue. Lots of play in the stick shift, remove boot and find broken off reverse lock out tab (plastic riveted to aluminum). Shifter pivot ball loose, spring gone, shift lifts up an inch or so. Tranny works great in 1st thru 5th but I can't get it into reverse. Local shop says that's because the part that broke off makes it twist in just the right way to go into reverse and it can't be replicated with that piece broken. I removed center console and removed stick shift and broken shift tower. Moving shift rod end I can still only get it into 1-5, not R. I want to check that the tranny is good before I try to find and replace the broken aluminum and plastic housing. Does anyone know if I should be able to get it into R without having a good stick shift in the car? Anyone have similar issues? Do transmissions typically break in such a fashion? Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Also, if you are parting out a late model 9000 with a 5 speed I might need a shifter mechanism. Thanks, Joe

· Registered
3,020 Posts
The only thing that should be keeping you from going into R is the 'lock out tab' mechinism in the shifter. As long as none of that is still in place when you move the shift rod you should be able to engage R.
You can rock the car a bit while it's in (any) gear to move the tranny parts around some and then try R.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
In the past I've had to replace a couple of the in car shift assemblies: Ali housing/ shift ball / stick and trans rod assemblies.
Exactly because Ham Handed previous owners broke the darned things.
These assemblies are of average strength.. and usually live long .. Unless.. used by the Hulk.. badly.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transmission Help?

The broken shift tower also has worn out/broken plastic shift ball parts but it still shifted fine 1st thru 5th, but would not go into reverse. Local Saab shop thought it might be an alignment issue since the shifter pivot ball was not locked into place. I removed the shifter assembly and tried to get it into reverse by twisting and pushing on the shifter rod. No success. Possibly still an alignment issue? I found a '93 9000 5 spd at a wrecking yard and pulled the shifter mechanism. It is different than the broken one but looks very similar. I installed it. Works great 1 thru 5 but still no reverse. When I force the stick down and back it grinds a little like it is trying to engage. Playing with the clutch and forcing the stick I got it to go into reverse one time. It seemed to be fine running in reverse. After a short road test to confirm 1 thru 5 I returned to shop and could not get it to go into reverse again. Only adjustment I can think of is try to extent the length of the shift rod to see if more throw is what is needed. Could it be a bent or worn shift fork inside the tranny? Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Joe

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Shift coupler alignment can be a bear. Getting it to find reverse 'cleanly' while keeping access to the other gears can be pain. Isn't there a wee pin in the coupler to help aid alignment?
'Persevere' Is all I can offer.
Getting Reverse to engage Cleanly is Seriously important, as these boxes have a Very easily damaged/prone to failure reverse cog set.
Teeth are easily chipped off .. then it's a whole new world of pain to try and correct. From experience.
Impress on the "hulk' :) that if reverse engagement is ham handed... his ride is soon dead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.