SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine has been sitting on subframe since March, when suspected engine mount let loose. Parked it and drove another vehicle until I could get room in the garage and take care of it.

Good news, it is the passenger side motor mount that went bad. Bad news is that it sheered the bolt off and left the remaining in the bracket to the engine, flush with the bracket. Also, it seems that the shop that replaced the motor mount last, used an manual transmission mount, and mine is an automatic. Got the new mount from Rock Auto the other day and compared them, and the old mount is clearly a manual transmission mount (according to the PN and pics on Rock Auto).

So, tried my first option with drilling and getting a screw extractor in there (various sizes) with no success. And now I am loosing real estate on the busted bolt to drill.

I am guessing my best option is to drill out the bolt completely and re tap the threads in the bracket to the motor. Correct? Never had the pleasure of retapping threads on a bolt that size. And then I guess I will have to drill out my new motor mount bolt hole and get a new bolt from a hardware store.

Anyone ever had the pleasure of doing this repair?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I'm confused about where the break is... but I think we're talking about the bracket on the engine, yeah? If so, I would just replace that bracket.... there have to be gobs of them around I'd think.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, exactly, on the bracket that mounts to the engine.
I thought about replacing that bracket...don't know where I can get it at the moment, haven't really looked.

I see two bolts right away that I need to remove, not sure if there is another hiding up in there.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I think there's two bolts.
I think it's the same bracket on autos and manuals
I think I have one sitting around if you need it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be amazing if you have one sitting around. Just a quick search I can not find that particular part on any of the usual suspect sites.

The amount of work to find one in the junk yard and remove that, would be more work than drilling and tapping mine.

Let me know for sure, and pm me

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have sheared the same bolt, twice! The first time, I was down the path that you are. Here is where I ended up:

1) I first ordered a new aluminum bracket (ebay), but it required the A/C compressor to be removed...

2) So, I carefully drilled out the majority of the broken off bolt. Eventually, large 'chunks' can be removed.

3) In doing so, I saw that I had damaged the aluminum threads a bit.

4) I drilled and tapped for a helicoil (M10 x 1.5, available at all the parts stores).

5) I have had much fewer shear failures using the factory SAAB bolt (4237491) versus the PPS bolts.

Removal of the fender liner makes it much easier. But I still had to use of collection of odds and ends to extend the handle of the tap far enough out to be able to rotate the handle. Good luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks about right, great! When I get a chance this morning, I will crawl back under there and compare the pic to what I see, just to be sure.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ajsan....thanks for the info on the drill and tap. I was not sure what I was going to need. If the bracket from jvana works out, then I will put some extra work in. Getting a good rethread in a somewhat tight space (even with the fender liner out) worries me a little.

Chances are I would probably screw it up ha! The bolt that was in the old motor mount/still in the engine bracket seems to be too soft, especially for what it is suppose to be supporting. (looks aluminum?) The new bolt in the new motor mount is much better.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I am probably missing something, but I don't see PMs on this new software... only "conversations" and there isn't one with you. I don't get it. :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea...I figured the convo was the new pm...so I started one with you...guess I missed something too...
I will try sending another once I get in a better place to do so

1 - 14 of 14 Posts