SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad situation....broken key inside igntion lock cylinder. Locksmith unable to remove, I have tried using spiral extraction tools, no luck. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Since key is in the ignition barrel I guess you should be able to get the lock itself out of the barrel. To replace it or get a better grip/view/leverage.

Removing the lid where it says "lock, on, off" etc on by twisting gently either counterclockwise or clockwise (Can't remember which direction), you'll remove the lid. Then there's a trick using a hex key in a small hole on the back of the barrel to get to a lock which you can push in to release the barrel.

Some youtube-videoes out there explaining the process better .. ;ol;

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Key broke off in ignition

Since the key is stuck in lock position, I cannot remove the lock cylinder. To remove that you need to turn key to off position. An anti-theft protector I guess.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Is your car manual? If yes, move gear to reverse and try again (you might need to wiggle gear lever and/or ignition lock).
If automatic, move shifter to P and try again (you might need to wiggle shifter and/or ignition lock).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Broken key stuck in ignition

Thanks for the info, its a 2001 95 automatic. I already tried moving key and shift lever using the release tab but no success. Could you or anyone else tell me how far in the ignition key slot is the dust/debris cover flap? I would post a photo but don't know how to on this forum.

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
If the key is in the ignition then you should be able to turn the cylinder with a screwdriver in the slot. (that is unless part of the key broke off and you don't have all of it in there. then I'd use that part of the key to do the turning.

Then pull the cylinder. If you can't rap it on a table and have the key start to come out then you can always take it apart although be very careful with the springs and things that will come flying out. ( think there was a tutorial on how to take the cylinder apart here a while back)

And if you really can't get it out and don't take it apart, you can order on line an ignition cylinder to match your car VIN code so that you can use any other existing keys and not have to reprogram them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks, I've tried all that, whats down inside the cylinder wont turn even when I insert the top part of key,..
I have about 1/2" or less straight part of key from the fob.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Push down and try again. Now it seems that your key raised a bit before break.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Broken key stuck in ignition

Thanks for the advice & assistance. I have tried but don't know how to post photos on this forum. Wish that I could since they are worth a thosand words...Good news is that today I was successful in removing broken piece of key. I had drilled 2 tiny holes in top of broken key & tried pulling it out, wouldn't budge, I found it catching up inside shaft (maybe the dust/debris flap?) so I delicately grind & with some hemostats, placed in the holes & out she came. Was like mechanical micro- surgery. Tha ks all for your helpful input. Will post pictures if I can figure out how.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Oh ya, another take away from this (which took a couple weeks) & all the mechanical work that I do on several different vehicles is that sometimes you need to walk away when its not working out & come back later with a refreshed approach to solve issues/problems....it usually works.

·
Registered
428 Posts
pictures can be attached by the "Attach Files" dialog.

Buy a raw key from ali express china (or anywhere else) and let a shop copy it. The remote unit could be simply pushed out when battery cover is open and inserted into the new key.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts