SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 84 900,during a recent calipar change on the drive side front i noticed that the hand brake cable had rusted out and broken off about six inches inside of the sheilding for the line. How can this be repaired?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think you might need a new cable.

Depending on the cable thickness and its ends, you might be able to get a motorcycle (or even a hood release) cable and cannibalize it (remove old cable and run new one through the sheath). Otherwise, you will need to get the proper Saab one.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would pick up the right part from eeuro or someone like that. Be careful of the cable routing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Broken hand brake cable

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to be able to splice in a small section but i will try replacing the entire line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is there a link to adjust the cable? Ive looked at the directions from Alldata and can not comprehend how they want you to adjust it. Also has anyone had any problems with the cable locking up the caliper? That was originally why I unadjusted my cable.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Is there a link to adjust the cable? Ive looked at the directions from Alldata and can not comprehend how they want you to adjust it. Also has anyone had any problems with the cable locking up the caliper? That was originally why I unadjusted my cable.
Your cable length adjusts go to the rear wheels and are under rear seat. The Bentley has the proper directions and if you have recently changed pads and rotors it may have contributed to the adjustment issue. I know for the pre 86's you have to set the handle at three clicks from full down to adjust, but haven't had to do that yet to any of my late models. You also have a fine adjustment nut at the handle for each side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts