SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: my driver side front spring is broke, is it worth just replacing the spring, as i can't seem to find one to fit my 98 turbo se @ parts4saabs, will i have to have all the springs changed, the front, or just the broken one? or should i fit a lowering springs, and if so any recommendations and what else will have to be changed? Also any ideas on cost in the uk for the above

Cheers

Paddy

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
you have to change suspension parts at least in pairs, it may be worth an upgrade all around at this point though, seeing as you have to replace two anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought as much but was just checking, might as well slam it as well, just working out what the best/cheapest springs to get

Paddy

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hi Paddy.

After getting my 900 on the rd. That was what happened to me. My Pass side front spring lost the bottom 1.5 coils or so.

Its not urgent that you fit new springs as the remainig coils will open up to fit the gap.

I should wait save some cash get on ebay and get a full set of spring.

Like these

If you want standard just call a saab breakers for two fronts.

hope to help

Dead

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Depending on what you have for immediate funds makes a differeance. I think some Intrax or something like that should run you less than $250. Maybe somebody on here would give you some used springs. You could do just one if you absolutly had to of course. I'd give you my old springs, but they're froma 9-3 so won't fit.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
When I broke a spring on my old 94 900 the dealer only replaced the broken one with no adverse effects. I don't believe that they both NEED to be replaced if only one breaks.
Same with headlights. ;0

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
CleveSaab said:
When I broke a spring on my old 94 900 the dealer only replaced the broken one with no adverse effects. I don't believe that they both NEED to be replaced if only one breaks.
Same with headlights. ;0
I agree that there is no NEED to replace both springs. However, you might consider the age of the vehicle. Coil springs sag over time. If the other front spring is significantly older, your car will be lopsided after installation of the new spring. This might have some effect on your handling / ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same thing with my drivers side front wheel. A strange knocking sound even over the smallest bumps. I got my springs from Euro Car Parts (pretty cheap) and had both of them replaced. The ride was very Wallow-ey before hand (almost made me sea-sick over road humps) but after both springs were replaced, it stiffened up nicely.

I was also adviced to replace both of them to stop the car being lob-sided, and whilst its on the ramps, you may as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts