SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. (This is really part of another thread I started about brakes problem - "Weak rear brakes")

Does anybody know of some way to 'recycle' a 1985 900i rear brake caliper with a broken bleed screw stuck in it? The bleeding screw is snapped level with the caliper body, so that there's no way to get hold of it. :(
Cheers.

·
4,637 Posts
You might take it out with an 'eazy-out', a reverse threaded tapered screw made of hardened steel and stuff. You use them very carefully 'cos they can snap, in which case you're screwed. Maybe heating the broken bleed screw first might help. If you can afford the time / cash, maybe take it to an engineering shop and have them take it out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did that. I knew I would as soon as I put the spanner on it. Guess I should have left the WD40 on a bit longer. It always happens to me. I did it to my sisters Golf the other day as well.:evil::evil::evil:

I don't think it should be too hard to get out. At least I hope not. Drill and tap I guess. Then I thought I might try and get some stainless steel ones.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
This has worked for me in the past:

1) Remove caliper and place in a vise.

2) Select a drill bit that is almost as wide as the bleed screw, but isn't so wide that it cuts into the bleed screw's walls.

3) Drill down into the screw as vertically as you can, stopping often to check progress.

4) Keep drilling until you feel the nose of the bleed screw break off. Confirm by looking into the drilled hole.

5) Use a screw extractor to remove the "shell" of the bleed screw. You should end up with no damage to the threads in the caliper.

·
Registered
593 Posts
here's what you do:

Find a nut. No not the kind you eat but the ones you use a with a bolt to fasten things. Make sure it is big enough to fit over the broken bleed screw. Then place the nut over the screw and mig-weld the nut to the bleed screw.

Make sure to use high setting on your welding machine to ensure the screw is warmed up good. Now let it cool down and then carefully try to turn the nut you just welded.

This might take a few attempts, but it usually works.

-tom-

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great. many thanks to all for the tips. Don't know which one I'm gonna try yet -although leaning towards the drill way - but will try one or another.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts