SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumma,

Fortunately, I wasn't in a hurry. I got the key out and took both parts to get one made. Haven't tested it yet, car is home, I am working. Wish me luck: My sunroof is open and it's supposed to rain here. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,081 Posts
Calbob said:
Bumma,

Fortunately, I wasn't in a hurry. I got the key out and took both parts to get one made. Haven't tested it yet, car is home, I am working. Wish me luck: My sunroof is open and it's supposed to rain here. :cry:
Yep, the Dakar 900i did that. Luckily, we'd been given two keys.

When I got this one, I looked at the original key, and saw it starting to twist slightly at the same place the other one broke - just at the top of the serrated part of the key.

Yep, I have had a replacement cut, and yep, I am using that instead...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Calbob said:
Bumma,

Fortunately, I wasn't in a hurry. I got the key out and took both parts to get one made. Haven't tested it yet, car is home, I am working. Wish me luck:
Curious... where'd u take it? Heights, @ Lomas & San Mateo, is superb locksmith... one of best run business I've encountered here, of any kind.

I've taken ignition/trunk/door locks from my 900 elsewhere, and they've had trouble w/'em.

My sunroof is open and it's supposed to rain here.
No worries, the wind blew the rain away. :cheesy:

(nice to see another Albuquerkian here.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
You can have a new one made at the dealership while you wait with just the code on the lock barrel if the broken key is difficult to duplicate. (I've heard it can be done with the VIN too, but I'm not sure) The trunk lock barrel is the easiest to remove. It's stamped right on the side. The dealer will look it up in thier little black-book and cut you a new one with a pre-historic machine and charge about $15.

You can also close your sunroof manually with the small little crank tool that should be clipped to the side of the motor under the floor in your trunk. The little crank fits on the shaft on the end of the motor. Then turn it about 100 times, and it should be closed.

Good luck,
-Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
RM '92 SPG said:
You can have a new one made at the dealership while you wait with just the code on the lock barrel if the broken key is difficult to duplicate. (I've heard it can be done with the VIN too, but I'm not sure) The trunk lock barrel is the easiest to remove. It's stamped right on the side. The dealer will look it up in thier little black-book and cut you a new one with a pre-historic machine and charge about $15.
Nice to know. I think I will go and write down the key code down just in case. Murphy and I have a kinda of ongoing relationship, you know. :eek:

RM '92 SPG said:
You can also close your sunroof manually with the small little crank tool that should be clipped to the side of the motor under the floor in your trunk. The little crank fits on the shaft on the end of the motor. Then turn it about 100 times, and it should be closed.
Someone needs to make an adaptor to use one of those cordless drills to fit where the little cranks goes.

On a different note, what makes key cylinders eat keys like that? Goo and crap stuck inside it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdmckay said:
Curious... where'd u take it? Heights, @ Lomas & San Mateo, is superb locksmith... one of best run business I've encountered here, of any kind.

I've taken ignition/trunk/door locks from my 900 elsewhere, and they've had trouble w/'em.



No worries, the wind blew the rain away. :cheesy:

(nice to see another Albuquerkian here.)
Yes, that is exactly where I went. They key worked too! The guy asked if "I liked my car?" He must know a saab story or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Dealers should be able to cut a key if they have the last 7 digits of the VIN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,088 Posts
all you need for the sun roof motor is a flexible drill extension which has a chuck to fit in what you want,eg end of motor shaft, or use an ordinary drill with a vacuum cleaner flat drive belt, wrap in round shaft and drill chuck, hand pressure/tension up and go.wwrrrrr:cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,382 Posts
Put some WD-40 down there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
RM '92 SPG said:
You can have a new one made at the dealership while you wait with just the code on the lock barrel if the broken key is difficult to duplicate. (I've heard it can be done with the VIN too, but I'm not sure) The trunk lock barrel is the easiest to remove. It's stamped right on the side.Good luck,
-Rob
Ditto to that, and you don't even have to go to a dealer. Here in Aus, I went to a small local locksmith with one of the door barrels and he sent me off to go shopping for 30 mins while he chased up and cross checked the code. I came back to two shiny new keys! I think these days, even without a book, locksmiths can look stuff up on the net that tells them what pattern to cut a key to, provided they have the number (in this case the number on the door lock barrel)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top