SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my radiator drain plug while changing my coolant, the plastic was brittle and the thing more or less split in two- of course it doesn't just screw into the radiator like a bolt, the assembly looks like a worm gear type screw on the end with an o-ring towards the top. I managed to get the rest of the plug out of the radiator, but haven't had any luck finding the part on any of the usual parts suppliers online. Any suggestions short of a total replacement? I feel like a complete dummy, have a lot of years of working on cars, but I really screwed this one up!;oops:

·
Registered
59 Posts
autopartspeople.com best place to go to they have literally every part of your car, i personally just ordered some parts from them, great place to try.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update-fixed

I bought the part from the dealer (radiator drain c o c k), they need to match it with my VIN, I guess there are 3 similar parts like this. Anyway- I fixed my screwup for $8.50.:)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I am glad to hear you fix the radiator drain plug.
-Thanks to let me know how delicate is the drain plug. maybe this drain plug is fixed for life.... in the owner' s manual there is no mention about coolant change only refill.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am glad to hear you fix the radiator drain plug.
-Thanks to let me know how delicate is the drain plug. maybe this drain plug is fixed for life.... in the owner' s manual there is no mention about coolant change only refill.
The drain plug is not fixed for life. The Haynes book say's for cooling system draining '' attach a hoseto the drain plug on the right hand side of the radiator and position the other end of the hose in a suitable container.
When the flow of coolant stops, tighten the drain plug, remove the hose'' .
:)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The drain plug is not fixed for life. The Haynes book say's for cooling system draining '' attach a hoseto the drain plug on the right hand side of the radiator and position the other end of the hose in a suitable container.
When the flow of coolant stops, tighten the drain plug, remove the hose'' .
:)
nice description in The Haynes book but,
- I prefer to follow the specifications in the owner's manual or interval service for maintenance;
-in special in those days of plastic age than the drain plugs are going to be manufactured in plastic material. one use only and replacing will be required in case of drain the coolant.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, with the plastic into more plastic- I should have known better. If there is a next time of changing coolant, I will definitely drain from the lower radiator hose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts