SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lowered my 2001 9-3 with the Koni Sport springs but my rear end sits a bit too low for my liking in comparison with the front end.

Anyone have any recommendations that would be easy and wouldn't involve removing the spare?

·
Registered
386 Posts
You could always lower the front more to equal it out. thats all i got for ya. im sure someone will come in with a smart and more logical response.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You could make a spacer to fit under the lower spring seats. As the springs sit roughly 1/2 way between the pivot and axle line it only needs to be 1/2 the thickness of your desired lift amount. kitchen cutting boards (not wood) are good for this. I thought mine were low but after careful measurement I realised the car was perfectly level.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
or you could buy a set of rear eibach springs. You can also add spring spacers which really isn't the best way to go, but it will work.

·
Registered
346 Posts
JonRush01 said:
I just lowered my 2001 9-3 with the Koni Sport springs but my rear end sits a bit too low for my liking in comparison with the front end.

Anyone have any recommendations that would be easy and wouldn't involve removing the spare?
see i have the oppsite problem my front end looks a little lower that the back and the driver side looks much lower than the passanger side (r/h drive) bit they are both the same when measured

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd just say dont do it.

The Koni springs f***ed my ride and have messed my diff beyond belief. I now have to plan a gearbox rebuild in teh new year because of them.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hode on! I just went fom 70,000 miles and -60mm. I'm now on Konis at -35mm and very happy. Driveshafts and diff still fine AND **** now comfier :D

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
martin.nicoll said:
I'd just say dont do it.

The Koni springs f***ed my ride and have messed my diff beyond belief. I now have to plan a gearbox rebuild in teh new year because of them.
Are you certain it was the springs? - you didn't have them on very long.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
martin.nicoll said:
The Koni springs f***ed my ride and have messed my diff beyond belief.
I must concede that is a bit baffling; though your ride could well be rogered I cannot see the differential getting stressed from them. The springs that Koni offer are a curious compromise between hard sports and the stock springs and as such cannot really upset the tranny.

As for Boxman's towing spring suggestion that is bang on the nail; I have a 100% level 900 on a Koni suspension kit but the rears do have assister springs fitted. I have no static tail sit, suppressed acceleration tail sit and minimised high load rear end squat.

Readily available from Grayston Engineering and MAD suspension, they simply install in parallel with the rear spring and offer a little uplift.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Wouldn't that increase the spring rate and therefor upset the cars balence?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Shirozina said:
Are you certain it was the springs? - you didn't have them on very long.
Everything was sweet and dandy before I put them on... stuck them on and ride was f***ed... took them off and the diff was shot due to teh drive shaft angle apparently.

They was on the car for 4 weeks.... :cry:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
martin.nicoll said:
Everything was sweet and dandy before I put them on... stuck them on and ride was f***ed... took them off and the diff was shot due to teh drive shaft angle apparently.

I'm not convinced the driveshaft angle was responsible - these springs are quite common and it would be a known problem if they caused diff damage. Likely there was a problem before that the change of springs accelerated or that removing and instaling the hub on the driveshaft damaged the diff in some way. Very worthwhile getting a second opinion on this before you fit a new gearbox to make sure it's not going to happen again. Drag racing scoobies off the line may not be unconnected to this problem either but I've no idea how strong these boxes are.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
martin.nicoll said:

i don't know ho told you this but i have been in the gearbox industry for over 15 years and i can not see how the ride height can damage your diff, it is more than likely due to your drag strip an-ticks, the ride height will affect the angle at which the shaft enters the CV joints but this will have no affect on how the CV joints enter into the differential and the shaft will be designed to travel all the way through from full droop to full bump on the suspension with out tying up so it will matter not at which point from full dump to full droop you actually ride at as far as the gearbox is concerned

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Your box/dif was f-up from the beginning, end of story. It was not the lowering kit that did this.

·
Registered
493 Posts
boxman said:
i don't know ho told you this but i have been in the gearbox industry for over 15 years and i can not see how the ride height can damage your diff, it is more than likely due to your drag strip an-ticks, the ride height will affect the angle at which the shaft enters the CV joints but this will have no affect on how the CV joints enter into the differential and the shaft will be designed to travel all the way through from full droop to full bump on the suspension with out tying up so it will matter not at which point from full dump to full droop you actually ride at as far as the gearbox is concerned
Giles at Abbott Racing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
lms said:
Your box/dif was f-up from the beginning, end of story. It was not the lowering kit that did this.
Politness please... :roll:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The ride hieght with Abbott springs is not that far off Koni's - I'm curious how Giles came to that diagnosis for the diff failure.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts