SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've got a 2007 Saab 9-5 with HID headlights.

When I pull on my turn signal stalk to engage the brights, they will flash bright but won't stay on. However, if I turn the wheel a few degrees, the brights will turn on and stay on. Conversely, if I try to turn off the brights while the wheel is straight then they won't turn off, but if I turn the wheel just a little bit in either direction they will disengage.

I think this means: my turn signal stalk functions fine, my headlight switch is in the right position (all the way to the right), and the headlights generally are working fine. So i'm stumped!

I've read through a million threads like this and found that they either a). don't apply to my particular car (since I have HID's, a 9-5, and no orange relay) or b). never post the eventual solution. Has anyone dealt with something like this? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have older (98-05) stalk.
Replace it to 06-10 stalk.
Thanks Mimmi! Can you provide any more info? Is this an issue that has come up before on the forums? (I just want to double-check you before I go spend money on a new stalk)

I bought my car with 70k miles so it's possible that someone before me swapped out the turn signal stalk.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
As I told, you have older stalk. Newer steering wheel have deeper middle section, whereby older stalk sticks to wheel when wheel in middle position and you can not change low/highs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I told, you have older stalk. Newer steering wheel have deeper middle section, whereby older stalk sticks to wheel when wheel in middle position and you can not change low/highs.
Thank you, I checked and you're absolutely right!

Sorry to ask for more information. Forum information is not always accurate :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
The logo type/font is slightly different, and the curvature too. Viewed from above you will see the different shapes of the two stalks.

This is interesting. I didn't realise there was an operational implication to the stalk design change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts