SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, for those of you that haven't heard of Casey, (or rabbit), he has a tuning Website/Company called Brew City Boost. I saw his ad for tuning in the For Sale section a little while back. I was a little skeptical at first, and I have to say it was mainly because you cannot beat his prices. Not one company I know of comes CLOSE to matching the prices for his tunes. But from the few people I've seen post comments about him, all they've ever said is good things. So I figured What the heck, might as well give it a go and try him out.

I'll just say that this is what I looked like in my car after installing the new ECU: :eek: ... :) ... :D ... :cheesy:

I can't believe how much different my car feels now. I used to have an '05 SRT-4, and my '00 9-5 Aero is now faster than the SRT was when it was stock. It actually scared me a little bit at the beginning, I didn't want to take off and break anything, lol. And that's just the Stage 2.

So anybody who is on the fence about going this route, I say go for it. I'll give y'all an update in a few weeks, and then in a few months to let you know how it's holding up. That way if any newbies (at that time) check this thread, they'll be able to see how things are going.

Another thing: Casey is one of the nicest guys I've ever communicated with online. I'd say from my experience that you can definitely trust him. Back when I had the SRT, I bought the Stage 2 Injectors and ECU from a guy in Canada, and it took 2 months to get to me, and that wasn't until after some people who knew him got on him about it. Not any issues at all with Casey. He offers next day shipping for $20 or so extra, and believe me, I got mine the very next day from the time I gave him my car info (coming from WI to MD). I can only say good things about him, he's a really good guy.

So yeah, just thought I'd share my experience with you all. And for anybody who needs to know, it's www.brewcityboost.com

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that's what happens when you add more air and fuel into an engine ;)

Haha, yeah I know man. And that's part of the reason why I will only buy cars with Forced Induction from here on out. Nothing against N/A, I just prefer F/I (mainly turbo's). My last 6 cars have been turbo'd.
But yeah, I'd say I'm more happy with the fact that I paid less for this tune than what I was expecting when I originally started buying Saab's like 4 years ago.
WAY less. And I didn't have to sacrifice anything in the process ;ol; lol

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's nice, but kind of sad that here, towards the end of Saab as we know it a few good faces appear. Like Williams and Brian offering a good product for way under the "mighty Hirsch" and their $1000 tune that never really materialized after all of the hoop and whooping on another site. For that matter I wonder if any of the Saab dealers that signed up got their money back after the whole thing folded. I know of one dealer who told me he sent the check for the machine and was waiting for training but then a few weeks ago said they were not doing tunes.

Is rabbit the guy who posts on TSL most of the time?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never heard about that, but it sounds horrible.
I always hoped that someone would come along and charge much less for tuning the T5's and T7's, I knew it could be done.
I don't expect Saab to return from the dead anytime soon. But I'll keep driving them til I can't get them anymore.

I'm not on TSL as much as I'm on SaabCentral, so I'm not too sure if rabbit is on there alot. I have seen him on here from time to time though.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I think the guy I'm talking about had an avatar with a go-tee and dark hair?

I don't go over there any more but he seemed like a pretty straight up guy.

Wish him well!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a BCB tune since July. Very happy with it and communication with Casey. I had a BSR tune on my 2002 Aero, BCB tune is far superior even though the BSR tune was $$. BSR etc. seems overrated anyway. Way to go BCB...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I just got an ECO tune for my 01' aero. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Car still in the shop for other stuff. But Casey is definitely a very nice guy. Very fast and informative communication. And very good service so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody know what the boost level is increased to? (what is stock and what is BCB?). Also, does he make tunes that are safe for 91 octane cars, since not everyone has the luxury of 93?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to hear that other people can back him up also;ol;

Last night I was in bed wondering whether I should jump out and go for another quick drive in the night air, finally starting to get cooler where I am, lol.

Anybody know what the boost level is increased to? (what is stock and what is BCB?). Also, does he make tunes that are safe for 91 octane cars, since not everyone has the luxury of 93?
I actually do not have a boost gauge yet, so I couldn't tell you the exact PSI. I've read that it can peak around 14-16psi stock on an Aero, but I haven't been able to check it myself.
Casey does say on his website that he makes custom tunes though, although I'm not sure how much extra it would cost...I would email him (from the website) and ask him if he could do that for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My car is pulling 23+ psi boost and more than 30 lbs/min. I use the Torque android app. Pull at low rpms, 2000 and up (aka torque) is excellent. Note that I also have a GS 3" dp that really helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't gotten a chance to use my Torque app & OBD2 Bluetooth with the new ECU yet. But I also wasn't sure how accurate the readings were with the boost levels. Is it reading the PSI from the ECU, or estimating it?
The only reason I ask is because I put the OBD2 on my friend's GS400 and the Torque app was reading boost levels (?). Although I just assumed it was reading the air coming in through the MAF sensor or something like that. I'm going to test it out on my Aero today.

So your car has held up fine on the Stage3 BCB tune? I'm guessing you had to get a new intercooler and 3.5 FPR (or maybe not since you have an '07)? I'm def planning on going Stage3 by the beginning of next year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't gotten a chance to use my Torque app & OBD2 Bluetooth with the new ECU yet. But I also wasn't sure how accurate the readings were with the boost levels. Is it reading the PSI from the ECU, or estimating it?
The only reason I ask is because I put the OBD2 on my friend's GS400 and the Torque app was reading boost levels (?). Although I just assumed it was reading the air coming in through the MAF sensor or something like that. I'm going to test it out on my Aero today.

So your car has held up fine on the Stage3 BCB tune? I'm guessing you had to get a new intercooler and 3.5 FPR (or maybe not since you have an '07)? I'm def planning on going Stage3 by the beginning of next year.
The app is measuring intake manifold pressure (psi). Then you subtract atmospheric pressure say 14.5psi to get boost.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The app is measuring intake manifold pressure (psi). Then you subtract atmospheric pressure say 14.5psi to get boost.
I should have known that's what it was measuring. Thanks. I just had a "spirited" drive over to my girlfriend's house, and I noticed it showed 19.1psi (could have gone higher than that, wasn't really paying attention, lol). I made sure the atmospheric pressure was correct. I still can't get over how fast it is now...speaking of that, you must have NO traction in second gear, haha.

·
Registered
927 Posts
well after checking there web site out, they do got some deals on prices. Just sent Casey and email, and hopefully he can tune my V6.

Thanks for the reference, because I was looking to go Nordic, but I cant pass this price up if its really legit. Will be following your post to make sure it stays strong

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any noticeable change in mpg's?? +/-
I really can't say, because I haven't been driving like I normally do. I've been taking off in 2nd gear every chance I get, lol. But once I drive back and forth to work next week (55 miles each way), I'll let you know.

well after checking there web site out, they do got some deals on prices. Just sent Casey and email, and hopefully he can tune my V6.

Thanks for the reference, because I was looking to go Nordic, but I cant pass this price up if its really legit. Will be following your post to make sure it stays strong
Before this, I was thinking of going Nordic as well, but I'm more than happy with the BCB tune. So far, my Torque App has shown readings of 264.8 HP to the wheels, and that thing tends to be pretty accurate as long as you put in the correct information. I didn't come anywhere close to that before the tune (my Max was around 206whp).
Hope he can get a tune done for ya. Update us either way to let the other V6 guys know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I should have known that's what it was measuring. Thanks. I just had a "spirited" drive over to my girlfriend's house, and I noticed it showed 19.1psi (could have gone higher than that, wasn't really paying attention, lol). I made sure the atmospheric pressure was correct. I still can't get over how fast it is now...speaking of that, you must have NO traction in second gear, haha.
You definitely dont want to watch your phone while driving. There are gages in the app that record max values, which you can see after the drive.
Two gages that make the most sense (they are measured) are air mass and boost. The HP numbers are unreliable. The air mass is in grams/s...226g/s is 30 lbs/min, so anything more than 210 is pretty decent (roughly 275 HP crank).

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's nice, but kind of sad that here, towards the end of Saab as we know it a few good faces appear. Like Williams and Brian offering a good product for way under the "mighty Hirsch" and their $1000 tune that never really materialized after all of the hoop and whooping on another site.
I know how you feel. My B15 2006 Sentra Spec V was a decent car for Nissan. Yet the Renault takeover and the world platform B16 Spec V (07-12) was a big disappointment. For 2013 there is no Spec V in the future, which is why I looked for something else and found a 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon. :cheesy:

NA engines are decent though. I had gobs of torque with that car (only 2700 lbs), but a lack of aftermarket options, which is something you all here know about, I think.;)

1 - 20 of 421 Posts
About this Discussion
420 Replies
73 Participants
swagger93
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing