SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my brake kit installed. After bedding the pads in all I can say is wow! The feel of the brake pedal alone is worth it not to mention the increased braking performance.

The parts that I used are as follows:

• Cobalt SS TC Brembo calipers - available from many sources (new and used) $182 plus shipping from GMPartsDirect.com
  • Pads- any pad for the Cobalt SS TC ($60ish)
  • Rotors- 314mm Aero Rotors (take your pick, starting around $100 shipped on ebay)
  • Caliper mounting bolts from Cobalt SS (GM part#11570091 x4 ~$4 each)

• Banjo Bolts and copper crush washers from damn near any chevy from the past decade (Dorman part #13940 - available EVERYWHERE) $10 total

• Brake Hoses- These were made at a local Parker Store. These stores are located all over the country and can make the lines on the spot for ~$60. They can even make stainless steel braided hoses for a bit more. You need a line that is 1/2" longer after the strut bracket. Same threads for the hard line between the Saab and the Chevy. The caliper end for the Chevy is a bit different than the Saab but I've heard of people using the stock Saab hose so what do I know. I could never get my lines to seal so I made m own. I bought a Cobalt SS hose to have them match up the caliper end. (Special thanks to the guys at Genuine Saab for trying to act they worked some magic to get these lines made;)
Total: ~$658 roughly for the setup. add some brake fluid and some paint to make it an even $700 for a Brembo Setup with new parts. I splurged and added SpeedBleeders to help with the bleeding (damn they are nice, no mess-just pumped the pedal a few times and sealed it back up. Great Product!! )

You might have to modify you brake dust shields depending on your model. I hope I might have cleared some questions up about this swap. Again, not a straight bolt on as far as the hoses and such but the calipers do mount directly to the factory caliper mounting points.

They stop well, look great, are easy to service, and easy to find pads/rotors. What more could you ask for? After installing Brembo calipers on my e34 BMW I couldn't wait to upgrade the Saab as well. Check that project of the list! Next I will be refinishing my wheels, yay :(

If you have any questions feel free to email me or PM me

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Nice write up with parts list. I've been wanting to do this for so long, but just don't feel like putting anymore money into this car right now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice set up, I have had brembos before on my gti, they feel great and look great too. I'm gonna do this, but it will have to wait until I need front brakes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No you cannot use the stock mounting bolts. They are too big.
The bushings are used to center the new caliper mounting bolts in the bracket. You don't have to use them but the safest way is to use the bushing. The caliper could shift under heavy braking otherwise. I dont want anything that close to the rotors to move especially when chances are it will mess up when you need the brakes the most.

To start I used a Stainless Steel m12x1.75x40mm bolt from Home Depot for testing. My GM bolts should be in any day now. The factory Cobalt bolt is 43mm which shouldn't be too long. 45mm is definitely too long and WILL make contact with the rotor. If in fact the OE bolt doesn't work I will "remove" material as needed from the OE bolt to clear the rotor. Then at least I will have an OEM bolt holding it all together down there.

You can use my experience to your advantage or be in a pinch when your car is taken apart. Spend the extra bones on OE Cobalt SS bolts BEFORE you start.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Left: 25900763
Right:25900764

And if your pads don't come with the hardware kit here is the OE hardware part #:25900781

I just got a set of Autozone's ceramic pads which was $60. OEM pad kit #: 25808929 (I've heard that these are dustier than hell!!)
The autozone pads haven't put out much dust at all, have a firm bite, and haven't made the slightest noise. My BMW has Hawk HPS pads in it's brembos and they squeak like crazy. They were twice the price too but I do autocross that car so I spent the money for good pads.

If you all have any more questions feel free to ask

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe it would be a great idea to use EBC RedStuff pads if the discs exist for the Chevy Cobalt SS.. I assure you they have an amazing grip once they heat up.

Btw, How much did you pay for the hoses ?

Regards,

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EBC's in my experience are pretty decent. I had an RX7 years ago with the dimpled rotor/greenstuff combo and it stopped great. They smelled funny too! I guess it was the kevlar that stunk?

I have no experience on the Redstuff but I'm sure they couldn't do anything but help.

HOSES:
$65 out the door. They made them while I WAITED!!! I was shocked. I had planned on them ordering parts and it taking a week to get completed. It's also great that they are right down the street from my house :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have had few experiences with EBC Pads, green stuff and red stuff..

but I'd say they work best with their own discs as they tend to be harsh on the discs and create a lot of noise and vibration at high braking in addition to the pad cracking if you use them with the original OEM discs.

A guy in Sweden is working on the same project with Brembo copies from Taiwan of the Porsche 993TT that are cheap but for that he needs to make a bracket for the calipers in addition to custom hoses, yet he uses the OEM 314mm Discs. (look at the photo)

I'll let you know when I plan to upgrade my braking system as the price is quite attractive, only one issue of finding the pads since we don't have cobalts where we live.. but I can stock some :D

For the time being I will look for alternatives, I don't know if the Cobalt shares the same pad with other cars.

Any plans to upgrade the rear calipers using the 292mm Discs ?? :cheesy:

Regards,
Amer

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love to find an oem solution for the rears. I am not too interested in making a bracket but who knows.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Nice writeup on parts! Sounds like a good setup. Good luck with those calipers though. Those ebay rotors are going to be shot real quick with this setup.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That looks so sick. Wish I felt like dropping the cash. And I wish my winter wheels would fit over those, lol...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Brembos for the turbo X seems the same in my opinion as it utilizes the same calipers and pads from the 314mm braking setup except for the brackets that are different in order to accommodate the larger 345mm discs.

I was thinking of an upgrade to the 314mm discs to 345mm before buying new TEXTAR discs and pads all around but the brackets are a bit pricey.

Yet, I'd still love to get brembos.

Regards,
Amer

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone always jumps to conclusions on the ebay rotors. I have used them for years without problem. Unless you go with Brembo blanks, OEM suppliers, etc you are generally getting the same "junk" rotors imho. They just charge you more for the convenience of having them in stock "in town". I worked at a service center for about 5 years and dealt with many suppliers and their consensus was the same.

My plan: If they go bad in a year or two I'll buy another set and call it a day. I'm not too worried about it. Flame on

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey i was just wondering if you could use the stock hoses or if there is no way to use them? just curious cuz i work at a parts store and have a good in and whole sale cost at a gm dealer so i will definitely do this one just getting my facts strait before i get the parts thanks.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts