SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone I just did my upgrade to Brembo brakes and I wanted to share my experience. It seems these days that people don't like to do research or simply don't know how. I know it took me a good amount of searching on various posts on Saab central to find all the info I needed to know in order to feel comfortable pulling the trigger on the parts. Hopefully this post can prove some enlightening information. Below the list will be some FAQ

Parts Officially Needed

Brembo Calipers [GM Part # 25900763 & 25900764] (x2)
Brake Pads (x2)
Brake Lines (x2)
Caliper pin and clip kit [25900781] (x2)
Banjo Bolt [24436543] (x2)
314mm 5x110 Rotors (x2)
M12 x 40 Caliper Bolt. [11115749] (x4)
Washer for Caliper Bolt (x4)
12mm inner diameter 14mm outer diameter sleeve (x4)

What I did, and what it cost.

Brembo Calipers w/ pads and pin kit - $399
ebay/ZZPerformance
Brake lines (stainless steel) & banjo bolts -$88
Genuine Saab
12mm inner diameter 14mm outer diameter sleeve - $3.38 (x4)
McMaster
314mm Stoptech Slotted rotors - $89 (x2)
CENTRIC 12638020SR
CENTRIC 12638020SL

M12 x 40 Caliper Bolt and associated washer - $3 (x4)
Local ACE Hardware store

TOTAL = $699.52 (before shipping and tax)

Was it worth it?
Yes! absolutely worth it.

Do I need to modify anything or does it bolt right on?
You need to cut or remove your rotor dust shield, especially if you just have a 2.0t/T. The shield touches the caliper and the rotor.

Will they clear my stock wheels?
If they are 17s or larger, most likely they will clear. I have BBS RKIIs and they DO NOT clear, even with a 10mm spacer. The spokes curve at the top and touch the rotor. I must run 25mm spacer.

Is it worth going through the hassle of buying everything individually vs. the kit from eeuro or genuine saab?
Yes, I think so, you can save hundreds piecing it together yourself as well as pick from what brands you want.
Eeuro $926.36 (does not come with stainless steel lines)
Genuine SAAB $1,180 (does not come with stainless steel lines)

Do I have to buy the rotors you listed?
Nope! I bought those because they were what I wanted, slotted but not drilled. Also they were the cheapest ones meeting that criteria. You can buy plain Jane rotors on ebay for under $100 for the pair. Just make sure they are 314mm 5x110 rotors aka 9-3 aero v6 rotors

What about the cobalt rotors, arent they 315mm?
Yes they are, but the rotors themselves need to be modified to fit, its not worth the hassle for the 1mm IMHO.

What the heck are those sleeve things for?
The way the caliper attaches is that it attaches is in front of the hub. That is it say you put a bolt through the hub and screw that into the caliper. The stock size caliper bolt is 14mm in diameter and the hub is wide enough to accommodate. The Brembo, however, is 12mm, therefore the stock hub hole are wider by 2mm. Hence you must place the sleeve inside so your caliper bolts fit flush and snug inside the hub and the caliper does not flop around.

Do I NEED those washers?
If you run the set up I do, yes. The M12 x 40 bolt was just slightly too long and touches the rotor. One washer is enough to space it out perfectly.

Can't I just order the GM banjo bolts and brake lines?
Yes of course! But I found out that by the time I did that the cost difference compared to the GS stainless steel kit was pretty low and its always better to get stainless steel lines.

Were there any downsides or problems you ran into?
Not really, it was all very simple. Initially I thought I could just "fold back" the lips of the dust shield, but you can see the ugly shield behind the rotor if you do that, so I ended up cutting it. After cutting it, parts of it rubbed on the rotor still, so I had to go back and bend it. Also the M12x40 bolts I bought from ACE were great, but they were slightly too long and touched the rotor, so I had to buy a washer for each bolt. Lastly, due to the fitment, the pad does not touch the complete surface of the rotor and leaves a discolored ring in the center (as evident in my photos).

So is this list going to be the end 'all be all' of of Brembo upgrade posts?
No, this is just the way I did it and found to be the most direct way and I'm just happy to share my new knowledge!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great write-up. I did this same thing earlier this summer but the only difference was I used cobalt rotors to avoid that ring of unused rotor. The only thing that I had to do was bring them to a local machine shop to get the center made a bit bigger to fit the Saab hub. But these Brembos are a very worthy upgrade.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I went with a 25mm long bushing from mcmaster, not sure why you chose to go with a 15mm long one as the knuckle is wider than even 25mm?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I went with a 25mm long bushing from mcmaster, not sure why you chose to go with a 15mm long one as the knuckle is wider than even 25mm?
Its just to center the bolt so I am not sure it matters. I have run forever without, just received my sleeves from McMaster yesterday. 30 dollars for eight pieces in NY state

conversion is very good no doubt. LNF brake lines are too short. I Just bought the front stainess GS lines but ran stock saab lines for a few years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great write-up. I did this same thing earlier this summer but the only difference was I used cobalt rotors to avoid that ring of unused rotor. The only thing that I had to do was bring them to a local machine shop to get the center made a bit bigger to fit the Saab hub. But these Brembos are a very worthy upgrade.
What happens to the center, is it smaller?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is the difference in braking performance substantial with this upgrade? I really dislike the stock brakes and if this is a giant leap forward I am going for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is the difference in braking performance sub5stantial with this upgrade? I really dislike the stock brakes and if this is a giant leap forward I am going for it.

Thanks
Yes it is noticeable. I have a set of the bushings for sale, $20 shipped, I also have a pair of brand new machined Centric cobalt rotors, $100 shipped

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes it is noticeable. I have a set of the bushings for sale, $20 shipped, I also have a pair of brand new machined Centric cobalt rotors, $100 shipped
Where are you Clubsport? I paid you for rotors on Sept 11th and haven't seen them. You don't answer my PMs either. Where is my stuff?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Where are you Clubsport? I paid you for rotors on Sept 11th and haven't seen them. You don't answer my PMs either. Where is my stuff?
that is really unfortunate for you. I was going to pull the trigger on those rotors as it seem a really good deal, but I decided that 1. it was too good to be true and 2. I want to buy the B6 rear Bilsteins another (reliable) member is selling.So I got to save up. Money is tight here, ordered a Tesla roof and powerwall for installation some time in 2019 lol

It seems to be me that lately some of the sellers on here are apparently not reliable, which is counter to what I have enjoyed on here the past few years.

I bought a saab 9-5 grille recently from a member and a cat downpipe, and the grille I had specifically asked about for the condition of the chrome. "Oh its fine, no issues" Ya the chrome is peeling off, the grille is junque.

Oh well... joys of internet buying. If you paid by Paypal you have 90 days to file a complaint, if your paypal payment was backed by a credit card you have whatever extended time the credit card company has for a complaint process, generally 12 months or more. Paypal will honor the credit card complaints process

·
Registered
163 Posts
You guys are nuts

Freakaccident I received no less than 16 pm's from you in the last 10 days and I responded to many of them

I informed you I would ship last saturday, and I did, your rotors will show up anyday

Yes we did transaction through paypal, of course

I do not come on saabcentral everyday

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
^^^^ great news. But communication on your part would have reassured the buyer. No news is no news. Saying you don't come on here much doesn't offer much reassurance, you came on here long enough to sell the parts and take the money

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^ great news. But communication on your part would have reassured the buyer. No news is no news. Saying you don't come on here much doesn't offer much reassurance, you came on here long enough to sell the parts and take the money
Like I said, I responded to many of his pm's, sounding the alarm like this was premature, it was 3 business days after I shipped

·
Registered
242 Posts
Like I said, I responded to many of his pm's, sounding the alarm like this was premature, it was 3 business days after I shipped
You should ship next day after payment and send the buyer a tracking number unless otherwise negotiated. Just good business. Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
And nothing showed up today. This is ridiculous. I paid him on September 11th. A couple days later I ask him where the stuff is and he tells me he will ship on Saturday because he can't get to the post office. Fine. Now it is Thursday and not answering PMs again. No shipper in the US takes this long from Saturday to Thursday from Philly PA to Indianapolis IN. BS Flag has been raised.

Unless Huffy started a new shipping service and some kid is out there pedaling his *** off.

And don't pull some BS about checking PMs. You can get an email notification when you get a PM and the emails go to your phone which is likely near your hand.

·
Registered
914 Posts
This isn't really the place to continue this... I'm sure a mod will move things sooner or later.

But.

What does the tracking number say? That should tell you where the rotors are.

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
This isn't really the place to continue this... I'm sure a mod will move things sooner or later.
You are correct. This is not the place for this.

Member freakaccident, if you want to make an issue of the transaction, as well as alert other members to dodgy dealings, please begin a thread in the Suspected Marketplace Scammers & Spammers forum.

Member ClubSport, if you have not notified your customer of the method of shipping and provided him with a tracking number, please do that right away. ASAP.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You are correct. This is not the place for this.

Member freakaccident, if you want to make an issue of the transaction, as well as alert other members to dodgy dealings, please begin a thread in the Suspected Marketplace Scammers & Spammers forum.

Member ClubSport, if you have not notified your customer of the method of shipping and provided him with a tracking number, please do that right away. ASAP.
Can you please not move this? Just clean it up. The OP infor is great.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
242 Posts
I guess I am going to order Ebay rotors and the bushings from McMaster. No idea when I will get my money back from Paypal.

OP should I order the 25mm long bushings or stick with the 15mm you suggested?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts