SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there

I've been scouring the internet tring to find information on whether there's a Brembo Big Brake Kit for my 2003 Aero. Does anyone know if such a thing is available?

I've recently been stung by a long wait for a set of Maptun 33cm's (well, Maptun branded WP Pro's) to go under my new 18"s and to slow down my Maptun stage 1 (so far). I've been waiting nearly 3 months for them to appear and have cancelled the order. Frankly I'm a bit pissed off about the situation and want to take my money elsewhere.

help with info about Brembo's would be much appreciated.

Rentz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, it's a step in the right direction, although the set they've got listed are actually the same size as my stock aero brakes. The Maptun/WP Pro brakes were 336 (sorry, not 330 as I originally stated in my first post). Technically I could go up to 360mm now as I've got 18"'s.

any Brembo offers over 314mm?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, seen those ones too, will definately bear them in mind if I can't get any more info about the Brembo's - I've kind of got my heart set on them now, although at the back of my mind I've got doubts about whether anything other than the 314's are available.

I'm such a label whore. ;oops:

cheers for the suggestions.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Brembo calipers from Porsche 993/996 will fit with caliper adapters. This is a far more cost effective route... :)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
mike saunders said:
Brembo calipers from Porsche 993/996 will fit with caliper adapters. This is a far more cost effective route... :)

Hmmm, I know this is a common swap on many cars, but never heard of the swap being done on an SS. Care to provide more details on where to get these adapters or do they need to be custom made? I'm also looking to upgrade my brakes, but I was looking at kits for the Cobalt SS as a different route.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mike saunders said:
Ok, you've got my attention Mr Suanders. Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Mike is right, however you need somebody to build custom caliper adapters for you. You will also need custom made rotor hats and find the right size rotors to match. A lot of work that needs precision machining and measurements. Can be very rewarding if done properly.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I'm running Brembo 993 calipers with stock 9-3 SS Aero rotors (314mm)...but the adapters are custom machined to fit. (Call N ick Taliaferro at GenuineSaab) I needed to push the wheels out slightly with spacers, but that actually helped handling.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok Mike, now we're talking.

Can I assume that by rotors you mean disks? And if so, If I upped the diameter of the disks to say a 336mm then I'd need to get a different kind of adapter made from the one that fits your 314 stock disks/rotors. I know I'll need to get one made regardless of what size i get, I'm just not that familiar with the way these things fit together - i suppose what I'm asking is - If I upgraded my disks to a larger size in the future would I need to get a new adapter made?

and sorry to bombard you with questions, but did you get your adapter machined to spec or with the measurements taken by Nick with your car in front of his very eyes? ie could he do it from thousands of miles away (I'm in Scotland).

And, I suppose the bottom line is - Is it worth it? Brakes any good?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dach said:
Oh, if you are looking to just go up to 314mm then the Brembos are great.

Worth every single penny
so, they seem like they're worth persuing then. :cheesy:

The thing I'm trying to do is get some bigger disks on there while I'm at it (I've got 314 stocks already). For one thing, since I've upgraded my wheels to quite open 18" (pictures soon) the stock brakes are actually looking a bit lost behind the spokes.

BTW, got Hirsch springs with my wheels, the drop combined with the bigger rims looks very menacing :evil: (pictures soon, promise)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Personally, with 18s I'd go with the 330mm. but the 314s are alright. for me, I was on the 314mm before I moved up to 330.

Had a pal who was on the 314mm with Brembo calipers, it was definitely good stuff going up from the stock linear set up. but once on the 330s, its a different league.

In any case, if you are talking value for money, the brembo + 314mm rotors are good enough. have a good machine shop do a very good mounting bracket. Try T7 aluminum if possible. and make sure the measurements are spot on.

At the same time, measure the offset of your rims you are using with the brakes. make sure you got at least 35mm offset. and that the spokes clear it well. if not you might need to throw in spacers 3-5mm. And with that, you need to get good spacers. you dont want any vibration at high speeds.

Let us know how the project goes.

Cheers

oh, just looking at the thread again, you're starting from the same point as me... in that case, the money time and effort in maintaining a 314mm set up with brembos aren't going to be that significant in terms of performance. especially since you're already on 314mm stock rotors.

You just get better modulation and heat transfer with the 314mm brembo set up.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Nick T has a 336mm kit that uses WPro calipers for folks with 18" rotors and bigger. AP makes a nice caliper that might be a bit easier to get in Europe, and Speedparts makes the rotor hats to fit.

re: 17s....I'm fine with the 17s, as that's really the performance sweet spot for me of handling, low unsprung weight, readily available components and low cost. 18s look a lot better, I'll agree, but I'm primarily using the car as a seriously fast commuter/weekend track car. The ride comfort difference between 17" and 18" is pretty huge, especially on frost-heaved roads. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mike saunders said:
Nick T has a 336mm kit that uses WPro calipers for folks with 18" rotors and bigger. AP makes a nice caliper that might be a bit easier to get in Europe, and makes the rotor hats to fit.

re: 17s....I'm fine with the 17s, as that's really the performance sweet spot for me of handling, low unsprung weight, readily available components and low cost. 18s look a lot better, I'll agree, but I'm primarily using the car as a seriously fast commuter/weekend track car. The ride comfort difference between 17" and 18" is pretty huge, especially on frost-heaved roads. :)
I'm actually finding the 18"s with the Hirsch springs pretty good, on the pretty uneven roads here in Edinburgh it feels a bit smoother if anything. The setup tends to have less bounce over things like cobbles and old roads. The downside now though, is that if I hit a pothole I REALLY feel it.
I'm rolling on Yokohama Advan Sport 225/40's, maybe the combination works better than another tyre I could have chosen. I certainly don't find the ride any less comfortable than before. The car feels a bit more taut (not that it was ever slack), but from a handling point of view rather than a riding point of view.

The wife hasn't complained yet, so that's a good sign. :lol:

and yeah, the WP pros were originally on the shopping list. They're the brakes that Maptun use (they rebadge them). They faffed about for nearly 3 months between them and I was still no closer to getting the brakes, that's why I decided on looking at the Brembo's - which I'd still rather have. If the Brembo's fall through I'll maybe have another look at the WP's or the AP Racing kits. For the moment though I'd like to take the Brembo idea as far as I can go. I'll speak to my tuner and see what they can theoretically cobble together to see whether it's worth the effort/money. I just need to arm myself with as much information as possible.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
epsilon93 said:
Mike is right, however you need somebody to build custom caliper adapters for you. You will also need custom made rotor hats and find the right size rotors to match. A lot of work that needs precision machining and measurements. Can be very rewarding if done properly.
The custom rotor hats are only needed if using non-Saab rotors correct? Also where is everyone buying the 314mm rotors from? Are you guys doing all four wheels and if so does that require any extra work? Also the question of if you wanted to upgrade to larger rotors in the future would you need new adapters was never answered? Sorry for all the questions, but I read this post and made calls to various yards and I've got a guy holding a set of calipers for me that came off a very low mileage car. I really really want to do this swap ASAP.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Rentokil said:
I'm actually finding the 18"s with the Hirsch springs pretty good, on the pretty uneven roads here in Edinburgh it feels a bit smoother if anything. The setup tends to have less bounce over things like cobbles and old roads. The downside now though, is that if I hit a pothole I REALLY feel it.
I'm rolling on Yokohama Advan Sport 225/40's, maybe the combination works better than another tyre I could have chosen. I certainly don't find the ride any less comfortable than before. The car feels a bit more taut (not that it was ever slack), but from a handling point of view rather than a riding point of view.

The wife hasn't complained yet, so that's a good sign. :lol:

and yeah, the WP pros were originally on the shopping list. They're the brakes that Maptun use (they rebadge them). They faffed about for nearly 3 months between them and I was still no closer to getting the brakes, that's why I decided on looking at the Brembo's - which I'd still rather have. If the Brembo's fall through I'll maybe have another look at the WP's or the AP Racing kits. For the moment though I'd like to take the Brembo idea as far as I can go. I'll speak to my tuner and see what they can theoretically cobble together to see whether it's worth the effort/money. I just need to arm myself with as much information as possible.
The WPs are decent, but the APs are near top of the range. its in league with Alcons and Brembos.

AP already has a set available with 2pc floating rotors. Advan Sport is an excellent dry weather tire. The soft sidewalls probably contributed to some of the comfort as well as the Hirsch springs.

I believe the Brembo set you're looking at can go up to as high as 328mm Rotors. but there aren't any 1pc rotors like that made for the Saab PCD. You can opt for Brembo to make and import one for you, but that'll cost a bomb.
The stock 314mm rotors can be used, brembo also oems them and if I am not wrong, Black Diamond also has got 314mm rotors.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
cjhutch said:
The custom rotor hats are only needed if using non-Saab rotors correct? Also where is everyone buying the 314mm rotors from? Are you guys doing all four wheels and if so does that require any extra work? Also the question of if you wanted to upgrade to larger rotors in the future would you need new adapters was never answered? Sorry for all the questions, but I read this post and made calls to various yards and I've got a guy holding a set of calipers for me that came off a very low mileage car. I really really want to do this swap ASAP.
No sweat....

314mm rotors are stock on the 06+ SS Aero, aqnd you can get them from eeuroparts for about $100 each. :) You're on the east coast, so you'll get them UPS Ground in about 2 days. They're either 25 or 28 mm thick, and seriously beefy, so they'll dissapate heat nicely. On the downside for some, they're not slotted or cross drilled (which is really mostly for looks).

Yes, you'd need to use different adapters each time you wanted to use larger rotors. The adapters push the calipers further out from the hub to allow the radius of the larger rotors.

For rears, I'm using the 300mm vented rotors and calipers from an 02 9-5 Aero (I think they're also used on the 03+ 9-3SS Aero, so that's a potential source.) Have the parts yard grab those calipers and then you might be able to source both brakes for next to nothing....

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well I went today during lunch and picked up the calipers. The place is not far from my job. They are from a 996 and the car only had 6000 miles on it. :eek: He had the entire car sitting there and I wanted the seats also, but not enough money. I got the calipers with the sensors and pads still on them also. Do I need the sensors for ABS or anything? Now it's just time to take care of adapters and rotors. Man, I cannot wait until my vacation comes up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts