SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a break in period for the 9-3 sedan? my dealer said there isn't one, but every car i've had had a break in period. also, every guy i've known that turboed a car aftermarket, says there's a break in for turbos. just curious.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The manual says for the first 1300 miles to keep it under 5000 rpm and to avoid wide-open throttle.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Don't be soft with her

I was told to break her in fast.. Otherwise petrol consumption and other factors would suffer in the long term:roll: .. My first 9-3 I broke in in 12 hours driving the 1,400 kms from Frederiksburg Denmark to Paris; an average of 120 kph or 80 mph. You should drive her hard but not exceed 5,000 revs. Don't let her overheat but let her know that she is being driven... Enjoy..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how bad is it if i've done 3 bursts past 5,000 rpms?;oops: :cheesy: i'll be easy from now on. i just had to see what it had. but it seriously shouldn't be too bad if i've only done three acceleration bursts, right?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It will be ok. Engines have already been run-in from the factory, it's just an extra precaution. I did it by mistake a few times, because it's so easy. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
danke. :) that's what i figured. btw, now that i took the time to look in the manual, it's under 5,000 rpms for 1,200 miles and no full throttle for 1,800 miles. and yes, the turbo is too damned fun not to run it hard. must...resist...boost...:cry:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just a tip from new audi break in procedure. For the break in period (500 or 1k miles whatever it is) they didn't specify a rpm limit but said to fluctuate the rpm's throughout the break in period. basically don't set the cruise control and drive at 70 mph for 500 miles, keep the engine adjusting.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone know the purpose of "no full throttle until 1,800 miles" when the "no rpms above 5,500" rule ends at 1,200 miles? i have a decent understanding of pistons, rings, etc...but can't figure out why saab wouldn't want full throttle until 600 miles after we can pass 5,500 rpms. the only thing i can figure out is that the bore/rings settle after 1,200 miles, so the piston speed doesn't matter as much as cylinder pressures...meaning the bore is set and the piston won't wobble after 1,200 miles. :shrugs:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Probably want to avoid WOT to keep boost pressure below maximum. Just a guess, I really dunno for sure. :roll: My last new car said to vary RPMs also, and I think that's a good idea... I've only used cruise control once and only for a short time... I drive in city traffic so it's impossible to maintain a given speed for very long anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts