SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my new Saab 9-2x Linear last week and I wil be picking it up on Saturday. I have a break in question. With my old car (Nissan Altima), I was advised to drive the first 1500 miles at varying speeds below 60 mph. Do I need to do the same for my new Saab. U see, I have a 300 mile drive back home, so driving at speeds below 60 mph is going to make the drive very LONG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
aplogon said:
I bought my new Saab 9-2x Linear last week and I wil be picking it up on Saturday. I have a break in question. With my old car (Nissan Altima), I was advised to drive the first 1500 miles at varying speeds below 60 mph. Do I need to do the same for my new Saab. U see, I have a 300 mile drive back home, so driving at speeds below 60 mph is going to make the drive very LONG.
No you do not need to keep it under 60. Drive as you normally would (within reason of course) but do not leave it in any single gear for a long time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
300 new miles on the odomoter - all highway

I too will be taking a new 9-2x on an initial lengthy road trip from the dealer. 55 MPH doesn't sound like much fun, but I don't want to suffer later down the road - I guess I'll stick to the break in period.

--update--
Drove the car from Dallas to Houston. Tried REALLY REALLY hard to go by the manual's suggestions:

Don't race the engine
Don't go over 4K RPM unless in an emergency
Don't stay at the same speed - either fast or slow
Don't start abruptly + don't gun it
Don't stop abruptly except in an emergency.

I varied my speeds between 55MPH & 90MPH - TxDPS troopers every 1/4 mi. didn't help. When I was going 65 or slower, I'd downshift into 4th gear for about a minute & then go back up to 5th. Occasionally, I'd pull off the road & use 3-2-1, so they wouldn't feel left out.

Made it home in about 3.5 hours & loved every second of my new Saabaru!

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FYI, at least with the AT, it is very difficult to get it up to 4000 rpm's unless you gun it from a starting position. It usually cruises around 2500 rpm. While breaking it in, I took mine on a 200 mile trip going between 65-75 and it barely passed 3000 rpm. For me I drive about 20-25 miles stop and go to work one way, so there wasn't much long cruising at one speed during the weekdays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made it home

Well folks the car is tucked away in the garage.

I had to drive 300 miles from the dealer to my house and the drive was pretty uneventfull. I drove between 60 and 75 miles all the way. I also made two stops along the way. I did notice soemthing about the rpms and would apprciate some input. My Nissan Altima reaches 3000 rpms at 80 mph, but the saab was only at 70 mph when it reached 3000 rpms. Is that normal. Also, doest the car shake for a breif second when U turn the key to start? The dealer said that it was normal. My Altima doesn't do that. THanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As for the shake when you start the car, I can say that mine doesn't do that. I will keep an eye out for it if it does. I did notice when I bought the car I popped the hood and they started the engine which jolted once on ignition. This is my first boxer engine, but I have seen some inline 4 bangers do this. Was your Altima a 6 cylinder? Maybe the 6's don't rev as high(?).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had that noise now it gone

This is my first car with a boxer type engine. When I first got it it soundeda little very little like my old VW bug. When it warmed up you really could not hear it. I went to 2800 miles before I changed the oil to Amsoil 10W-30 turrbo oil, and that insound is gone, plus now 1 get 1.5 mpg increase and my oil temperature has gone down 8 deg F. It is amazing stuff. I really love this car so I put this oil in it a little more expensive but pays itself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey aplogon, what year altima? I traded in a 2000 SE w/ 130k on it.

The redline on the old 2.4 was 6,250 - the aero is 7000. So it will want to run a little higher in the revs. Thats why the gearing is different.

As for the start up wiggle, that is because of the position of the motor. The thrust of inertia from starting the engine pushes against the frame of the car. The same thing happened in the altima, but since the motor is mounted across the front of the car (Like most front drivers save for some older Saabs, Audis, some Chryslers, etc) while ours is mounted front to back. This in addition to being on the roll center of the car, this effect is MUCH more evident. You would feel this in most rear drive cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts