SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about ready to fire up my newly rebuilt engine and would like to hear what you folks would recommend for a break-in oil and time/mileage period. I'll be doing mostly town driving, especially early on just to see how it's going to run.

The engine has all new bearings (standard size), new rings, and a new B205 oil pump. All new seals, also. This is a B204L block, pistons, crank (B204 head gasket) with B205L head and T7 engine management. Also, #6 CCV update installed.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I would use non synthetic Rotella 15-40 weight. It has heavy wear protection additives and it's a good oil for the summer. After 3000 miles I would change to Rotella T6 full synthetic.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Best possible advice...;ol;
I'd use a dedicated "break-in" engine oil , but I have never seen any of this sort.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Just drive it easy for 3K would be my advice. Then put a semi syn in it.

A Saab mechanic I trust once told me: "I use semi syn in the Base 9-3 and full syn in the SE 9-3". So that's what I've always done. Semi in my base 9-3.

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
Umm... I've heard of some engine guys suggesting a mineral oil for break-in then synthetic later. I certainly would NOT leave the break-in oil in there for 3000 miles. Maybe 1000. Maybe 300 (old school :). If none of the motor heads here respond, try posting on saablink.net.

·
Registered
349 Posts
take my advice lightly because im not too knowledgeable in engine break in's but i would just run the standard synthetic oil that you would normally run and change it after the first 1000 miles. just go easy on it and dont do any high rev driving.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
I believe the reason for using mineral oil is that its lubricity is a little less than synthetic oil this means there is a little more friction to aid in the bedding in/seating of the new components. It is also because of this it should be flushed much sooner than a regular OCI. It is also cheaper since you wont be running it for the full OCI. I would run regular mineral oil for about 500 miles, I would then do an oil and filter change again with mineral oil for another 500 miles and then after that change to a synthetic of your choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts