SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about CarFax Report and Title...I found an advert for a 1992 900 turbo on line (being sold through a dealer). Lots of pictures, condition looks very good, and they state 121K mi.

The VIN is provided so I do a CarFax.... Dec 1992 registered in FL w/ 46 mi....next several title updates and 'passed emissions inspections' but no milage stated...then in Aug 1996 a 'Branded Title' is issued in VA... (CarFax says: "Exceeds Mechanical Limits (EML) title is issued when the owner discloses an odometer rollover to a DMV. Rollovers occur on vehicles with 5 digit odometers that go from 99999 to 00000 every 100000 miles")

Huh? I thought the car has a 6 digit odometer?? Could EML mean rollover or odometer replacement??

the car looks good but now I'm wondering if it has 121K, 221K, 321k miles???

thanks in advance you your insights,
Rick

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
yes, as they go to 999999miles(type million mile saab on google) so you may have had a oddo change(broken) or replacement engine, and it's oddo fitted, so probably they think it's gone round before Imillion 121k lol, but at 121k thats just run in lol. I have \ 173K CONVERTIBLE A 167k TIN TOP AND DID HAVE A 232K ONE THAT WAS RUNNING OK, BUT NEEDED A NEW SUSPENSION SPRING ETC FOR UK MOT AND WAS'NT WORTH THE MONEY SPENDING ON IT AS IT WAS A BIT TATTY(caught kaps key ggrr), and have a 212k spare engine in garage

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Different States brand titles differently.
My guess is that somebody replaced a speedometer and a mileage discrepancy showed up at some transfer or inspection. The States I'm familiar with brand the titles TMU (True Mileage Unknown), some may use EML as a catch-all.
This is just a guess.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
In many states any car over 10 years old is automatically "mileage unknown" on the title... if in '96, maybe replaced odo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In my state of Alabama, anything over 10 years old is branded EML !

FWIW, I don't trust any European mech odo after 10 years!! Y'all know what I'm talking about.That little plastic gear brakes or the pot metal gear slides off the shaft.

Stuart

1 - 5 of 5 Posts