SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that I am very very new to working on cars. Kinda just decided to start learning on the fly less than a year ago.

I figured that since I want to tune this thing (b207r) eventually, I oughtta replace the fuel pump since we're getting up near 90k miles and it hadn't been replaced yet. In the spirit of being thorough and learning how to do things correctly, I dropped the tank and replaced the entire fuel pump assembly. Took me a total of about 13hrs, but most of that was just logistical struggles. Everything was successfully and correctly replaced and reinstalled. Put several gallons of gas in and let the pump prime (priming took way longer than I expected). No leaks or anything.

I managed not to break anything, except the damn clip that pulls/holds the wiring harness together (these GM wiring harnesses are extremely effective but god almighty are they a pain to pull apart and reconnect). So even though I finally got the car to start, the fuel gauge was reading empty. I got back under the car to pull the wiring harness together as tight as I could and then zip-tied it to stay that way. No improvement. Filled up the tank and have driven it maybe 15 miles or so since, and now the fuel level gauge is at about 25%.

I'm assuming this is a wiring issue, since I was extra cautious in installing the new pump so as not to damage the attached float.

My question is: what now? How do I get this thing to read the correct fuel level? Is there a way to test each individual wire in the harness to possibly find the one that's supposed to be sending the level information? Or should I just replace the wiring harness entirely (if so, I'm gonna need a how-to on that)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently had my 08 xwd v6 fuel pump replaced. When the new unit was installed the fuel gauge read empty even though I had a full tank of gas. I was about to rip it all apart again to replace the sender but I noticed when the fuel level dropped below 3/4 tank the gauge red properly. After a couple of fill-ups my gauge eventually started reading properly from Full to Empty. Not sure what caused this or if it fully relates to your issue.

·
Super Moderator
19,751 Posts
You replace things when they break, not before. Fuel pump isn’t a wear item. Mine is still original.

Reactions: stoopkiid93

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently had my 08 xwd v6 fuel pump replaced. When the new unit was installed the fuel gauge read empty even though I had a full tank of gas. I was about to rip it all apart again to replace the sender but I noticed when the fuel level dropped below 3/4 tank the gauge red properly. After a couple of fill-ups my gauge eventually started reading properly from Full to Empty. Not sure what caused this or if it fully relates to your issue.
hoping this will be the case

1 - 7 of 7 Posts