SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a brand new clutch put in with throw out bearing, pressure plate, the whole works. It slowly failed on the way to work, until now I can't get the car in gear when it's running. Any ideas and how this could happen and what I should do. It is a 97 900 with a clutch cable. The amount of free play tells me it is likely not the cable. It does start to catch at one inch before the pedal hits the floor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I have the OEM self adjusting cable

I have the self adjusting cable. I think something else is wrong. The clutch arm is not pointing torwards the battery. It is pointing straight in line with the DIC. It looks like the tranny is coming out again. It is just befuddling that a new clutch works and the fails in just a few drives. Thank you for the replies, I will post results for the next guy who has clutch issues.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I have the self adjusting cable. I think something else is wrong. The clutch arm is not pointing torwards the battery. It is pointing straight in line with the DIC. It looks like the tranny is coming out again. It is just befuddling that a new clutch works and the fails in just a few drives. Thank you for the replies, I will post results for the next guy who has clutch issues.
Did someone forget to reinstall the TO bearing ??:cheesy::cheesy:
I have witnessed this at either ColdSpring or Farmingdale..
But, of course, this was caught before the horse left the barn..
I suspect a broken pin in the clutch control system.
This is a mystery however...:confused:
Also, I'd go for a new manual adjust cable.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If the clutch glazes the flywheel, it won't grip the flywheel properly until the surface is cleaned. Months ago I slipped the clutch think it went into 2nd, but was in 3rd and hammered the pedal. Thought it was smoking the tires at 1st then realized it was the clutch LOL. (I was rather tired after a long day ;) ) Long story short, the clutch slipped like mad. Eventually it started gripping again and I haven't had it slip at all in the past 2 months or so. Figured I throw it out there as a clutch that isn't properly seating will slip and glaze the flywheel, causing the same symptoms.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved

The new adjustable clutch loosened itself since the cheap plastic threads could not hold. I am going back to the Saab self adjusting cable. Unless I can find an adjustable made with metal, not plastic. And as tight as the new cable can go, is still not quite enough, so perhaps I was shipped the wrong cable from rock bottom parts. My anger is less, since I do not have to drop the tranny again, but the nerve of a cheap clutch cable on my Saab has taught me a valuable lesson, cheap is crap.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
..1.."rock bottom parts" ?
..2.."perhaps the wrong cable" ?
Is this (1) Rock Auto Parts ?
(2) is likely, the wrong parts is a problem and part of a much larger problem..if the cable is too short, we can have all kinds of trouble...
IMO, the plastic threads are OK...the old Golf II used them at their cable- never a break-down in this area, but, the Saab clutch is much stronger/heavier....is not a jam nut used ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts