SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What planet are you on AE86?

Ceramic pads absolutely destroy rotors, especially ones which were not designed to run with low friction co-efficient pads. Ceramic pads heat up stock discs way beyond their normal range, meaning they warp and wear FAR quicker.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
no.......
No....ceramic pads offer a few positive gains (stopping power, decreased brakes dust from metallics, minimized brake squeals) but their downfall is the fact that some rotors can simply not handle them. If your rotors are weak you'll have decreased brake dust and in increase in rotor dust. The pads will destroy the rotors if they are not made to handle ceramic pads. Case and point one of my old cars wore a grove through part of it because it was too weak to handle the ceramics. Once they were switched out it was fine.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
how do you know if they are made for ceramic? I don't believe I have ever seen a rotor specify if they are made for ceramic or not
I just meant aftermarket rotors really. Something other than stock. Usually if you buy a specific pad the same company makes a rotor. Those would be designed to handle the ceramic pad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ceramic pads will not wear out your discs faster than conventional pads. Buy ceramic pads from raybestos and dealer discs and you should be happy. Aftermarket discs with slots and holes are typically garbage unless you are willing to drop serious cash. i have 116,000 miles on my original front brakes and pads and rotors are fine . My rear disks and pads have 60k on them now and they look like new. I replaced the rear discs and pads with dealer discs and raybestos ceramic pads, the stock discs and pads i removed were absolutely trashed and i had great difficulty removing the caliper from the discs. The only problem with ceramic pads that i have experienced is the break-in period. i would not change front and back at same time if you go ceramic. ceramic does not create much dust either which is a welcome bonus

·
Registered
217 Posts
What planet are you on AE86?

Ceramic pads absolutely destroy rotors, especially ones which were not designed to run with low friction co-efficient pads. Ceramic pads heat up stock discs way beyond their normal range, meaning they warp and wear FAR quicker.
My experience does not reflect this quote. if anyone would have warped rotors it would be me. i abuse the snot out of my car with ceramic all around and have never had an issue. my rear dealer discs running raybestos ceramic pads look new after 60k miles of thrashing. I will say i bought slotted "performance" discs $$300 a pair, for a different car and the rotors were trashed after 8000 miles with conventional pads. But that is just my experience.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
note all stock standard equipment...
my ceramic fronts look great, no damage or grooves on the rotors
the rear pads on the other hand are chewing up the rotors.
I'm having the same issue with my rear rotors as well.. The tech guy at the dealership said that it was normal for it to be like that.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Seems like this topic turns out its more dependent on each person. Maybe it's the setups and brands and all. My experience has shown negative effects while a few have positive. Ha maybe it was just the stuff on my old car :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my rear rotors as well.. The tech guy at the dealership said that it was normal for it to be like that.

Same here, i did my rear brakes my self, went right to saab and bought the dealer disc and rotors, replaced them when i got home in a garage, kept all parts in box till i went to put them on, opened the box, put a brand new pair of rubber gloves on and put it all together, i cleaned everything to ensure no dirt inbetween the pad and disc, but after about 40K both sides have 2 - 3 deep guages, my mechanics at my job (car auction) said it has to be dirt, im going performance all around on all 4 when i have some spair loot, was thinking EBC Green Stuff (had them on my civic loved them) and either EBC specific grooved rotors or something else i end up finding that looks of better quality

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you need new rotors then buy them. If not then don't waist your money. Get them turned and let it ride. You can't listen to everything you hear on the internet. I've been using and running ceramic pads for years and have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Ceramic pads should actually help your rotors to not warp. As everyone "should" know, ceramic withstands high temperatures very well. And ceramic pads are not just ceramic, they also have metals in them such as copper. And as anyone who cooks knows or anyone that is into computers. Copper is great at absorbing heat. Therefore drawing the heat away from the rotor as your hot brake pad just sits on the rotor after a sudden stop. I have run ceramic pads on most all my cars, with stock rotors. and I have never had a problem with warped rotors or the brakes causing my rotors to wear fast.

My .02

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If you need new rotors then buy them. If not then don't waist your money. Get them turned and let it ride. You can't listen to everything you hear on the internet. I've been using and running ceramic pads for years and have never had a problem with them.
OEM Saab Rotors tend to warp if turned, search a few threads. You'll see several examples. It's not a recommended practice on the SS.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
OEM Saab Rotors tend to warp if turned, search a few threads. You'll see several examples. It's not a recommended practice on the SS.
I think you are correct Jon. Maybe 1 or 2 people have had luck, me not being one of them. It's frustrating and a waste of time to have to go back for simple brakes. Just spend a few more $$ and you'll know things are done right.
And the tight wads on here can continue to buy $29 auto part store rotors and see how far those go.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Man I most have had some sh!tty rotors on my old car then. I'm looking around and finding a few tests that show no problems on the rotors. I do find some that are negative feedback so thats confusing. But in general most is positive. And Akebono ceramics were some of the best tested that I found. Just as a reference for pads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.