SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its about time i got some nice new pads up front on the Aero and thought after hearing good stuff about some EBC redstuffs that i'd get myself some.

Went to the local dealer and was quoted 450 AUD for a set! After falling off the chair i was sitting on i decided to head to the refugee of the car owner, the internet :)

Anyway, i've trolled through a number of past threads and am still undecided.

Firstly lets just say i hate the dust, my wheels continually look filthy. Secondly i dont think the standard aero pads are much chop and they tend to do not much for 70% of the pedal travel and most of the work in the last 30%.

So basically i'd like less dust and more stopping power. Sadly a big brake conversion is out of the way.

Two questions;

1. The brake pads for the Aero (2000) model are the same size as the ones on the LPT? Therefore i can use these? http://www.elkparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/75_143_408/products_id/2428
2. What pads would i be best getting? I've heard good things about Akebonos and EBC redstuff.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The pads are the same on the Aero and LPT.

G

·
I have Akebonos on the back and they are surely less brake dust- as for their stopping power, they are on the back so tough to tell. I have no complaints though.

I have the stock pads on the front with Viggen slotted rotors and man do they make dust and to boot the pads get noisy once warm. I believe Akebono makes them for the front- I am going to do this in the next couple weeks. I expect some brake dust from even the Akebonos though as the slotted rotors do chew up pads.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If you search for Akebono you will find numerous posts praising them. Many of the posts are probably mine as I have tried numerous different pads (greenstuff, redstuff, hawk, etc.) and none compare when talking about the combination of better stopping power and absolutely no dust. I have had them for ab out 2 years front and rear; you will never need to clean your front wheels again, trust me....Cheers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i did quite a bit of searching around when i was looking for new pads for my aero. looked at ebc, akebono, and hawk. after reading reviews on all three both on saab sites as well as other enthusiust sites i went with the hawk pads. i can't campare them with the other two, but i can say. there is almost no dust, stopping is much improved over oem, and quiet as well. i highly recommend hawk pads. i got them at genuine, but a simple search will turn them up elsewhere. i also decided to go with the zimmerman drilled rotors on the front.

happy hunting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyones input.

From all the reading i've done so far not many faults on the Akebono or Redstuff.

I've decided to give the Redstuffs a go and order them today from performancebrakes.co.uk for the princely sum of 57 pounds...

I'll do a write up when i get them, hopefully will have the time over the xmas break to get them in!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Do the Redstuff's wear the rotor more than the soft factory pads? Do the pads themselves wear more? My Akebono's produce no dust, and I've had them on for a year and there is BARELY any noticeable wear on the pad OR the Viggen rotors I have installed. Rarely do I find a product that exceeds my expectations. More often than not I am disappointed at the difference between what companies claim their products do vs. what they actually do. I have found at least two exceptions lately: one are the Höen xenonmatch bulbs; the other item? You guessed it! Akebono brake pads. And no I have no affiliation or financial interest in either company. Hope the Redstuff's work out well for you though. Cheers!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with Ben, Hawk HPS pads are the best pads, even when used on track. I used to auto-x my SPG that has 300hp with 9000 aero front brakes with the Hawk pads and can't say enough about them. Granted, at auto-x speeds your not really pushing the limits of the brakes but much better than stock and excellent modulation. Oh, my SPG was also my DD for a while, the dust was acceptable even with polished aluminum wheel lips.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
j006 said:
Do the Redstuff's wear the rotor more than the soft factory pads? Do the pads themselves wear more? My Akebono's produce no dust, and I've had them on for a year and there is BARELY any noticeable wear on the pad OR the Viggen rotors I have installed. Rarely do I find a product that exceeds my expectations. More often than not I am disappointed at the difference between what companies claim their products do vs. what they actually do. I have found at least two exceptions lately: one are the Höen xenonmatch bulbs; the other item? You guessed it! Akebono brake pads. And no I have no affiliation or financial interest in either company. Hope the Redstuff's work out well for you though. Cheers!
I don't have the redstuffs yet but i went with them because they where a decent price, shipping included and had a good reputation. I couldn't find anyone in australia that'd talk to me about akebono's and the only places i could find overseas refused to ship them to aus for me.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
AdrianB said:
I don't have the redstuffs yet but i went with them because they where a decent price, shipping included and had a good reputation. I couldn't find anyone in australia that'd talk to me about akebono's and the only places i could find overseas refused to ship them to aus for me.
That sucks man. Well best of luck with your quest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.