SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SAAB 9-3 2008 Sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on the highway today in a very rainy day when I tried breaking & my brake pedal was very stiff (It felt exactly the same as it feels when the car is turned off), the braking power was also greatly reduced... After a few minutes it started breaking normal again.

Does anybody have any idea why this would happen? (2008 9-3)

·
Registered
SAAB 9-3 2008 Sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pump should be fine as the fuel efficiency, AC etc. was all working 100%... I have no idea if the vacuum line to the brakes could be leaking... I'd think that it wouldn't just fix itself if it was, but honestly I have no idea. And no, there aren't any codes that the car or my basic OBD 2 scan tool could bring up.

Hopefully, it won't happen again, but if it does I'll definitely mention your suggestion to the mechanic

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You can support it with a deep discharge battery then you can periodically disconnect to charge the deep discharge battery indoors...its a complicated solution to a simple problem though

·
Registered
3 Posts
The pump should be fine as the fuel efficiency, AC etc. was all working 100%... I have no idea if the vacuum line to the brakes could be leaking... I'd think that it wouldn't just fix itself if it was, but honestly I have no idea. And no, there aren't any codes that the car or my basic OBD 2 scan tool could bring up.

Hopefully, it won't happen again, but if it does I'll definitely mention your suggestion to the mechanic
When my brakes were very stiff, it turned out to be the vacuum line that runs near the oil filter location was was spongy. when I replaced the line with a fresh vacuum line, the brakes worked fine.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
@DTV Bobs post seems wrong thread,1st port of call is to check the vac lines from the booster to the pump then the pump to the inlet manifold..& report back finding..
This^^^
I was replying to a different post & couldn't find where this reply landed when going back to look for it...mystery solved.

·
Registered
SAAB 9-3 2008 Sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When my brakes were very stiff, it turned out to be the vacuum line that runs near the oil filter location was was spongy. when I replaced the line with a fresh vacuum line, the brakes worked fine.
May I ask if your brakes would get stiff & then work fine again & stiff again... at first.... or did they just get stiff & stayed stiff?

·
Registered
SAAB 9-3 2008 Sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you double checked vacuum pump and its operation?
I've had a quick look under the hood to see if any lines were cracked or something... everything seemed fine, so I think my plan at this point will be to drive around carefully to see if it happens again (because it did fix itself after like 10mins & since it works fine) and then I'll mention the issue to my mechanic when I get a new fuel sensor installed soon bcs that broke a few weeks ago

·
Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
96 Posts
I was driving on the highway today in a very rainy day when I tried breaking & my brake pedal was very stiff (It felt exactly the same as it feels when the car is turned off), the braking power was also greatly reduced... After a few minutes it started breaking normal again.

Does anybody have any idea why this would happen? (2008 9-3)
Somehow that reminds me of the Audi A4 (B6) problems with the brake occuring under similar conditions. The technicians at Audi found out that a buildup of a water film on the front discs were responsible for the loss of brake power, and the company had started a recall to fit a small deflector. On the successor, the ABS was upgraded with a dry-braking function.

Usually the Saabs were not known for such problems, but when it is extremely wet this can happen to almost every vehicle with disc brakes. Maybe it's the brake disc covers which had warped or being eaten away by rust like on the V70 of my wife.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts